VPN noob looking for clarification/help

msquared

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That's how I interpreted the "both" of looney2ns screenshot. I'm hoping for the best where the setup will work as described like looney2ns said, where all my traffic will tunnel to my router, then to my home LAN or out to the WWW as I need to. I have a "standard" setup, with 192.168.1.x, no subnets. Since I have no way of knowing what the hotel WiFi network range is, that would be a situation where I would set up per the above, but if it doesn't work then a conflict in network range would be a likely suspect.

jmhmcse

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That's a great diagram! Thank you!

So if the hotel wifi has these ports blocked, then this VPN plan would not work?

What is the Home PC "Stunnel"?

I was going to set up OpenVPN on my Asus router, setup OpenVPN client on my laptop. Then when on hotel wifi, after signing in to portal page, open and connect on laptop using OpenVPN client software. That creates a secure tunnel to my router, therefore my network, where I can enter the LAN (local) IP of my BI server, which will open the UI3 interface.

All of my online activity goes thru this tunnel, over the hotel wifi, to my router, then out to the WWW thru my ISP, so I can do online gaming, Netflix, see my cameras, etc. and it all looks like coming from my own home network.

I've had the same IP from ISP for as long as I've had service with them, so I am classifying my IP changing as low risk. I prioritized creating a secure connection when using wifi that isn't my own. I'm not as worried about anonymity as I am things like man-in-the-middle atttacks or access point spoofing capturing passwords and such.
In this context:

Home PC Stunnel = Blue Iris server​
========

If OpenVNP does makes the connection home (to your ASUS router) from your hotel room, you'll have connectivity... you have a very high expectation that the connection will support gaming/netflix/etc.

I wouldn't hold my breath.