VPN Setup Not Quite There

Indycars

n3wb
Reaction score
My Network:
- Motorola Surfboard Modem [ Connected to Netgear Router ]

- Netgear Nighthawk R7000 Wireless Router [ Connected to TP Link Switch ]

- TP‑LINK TL‑SG108 Metal Gigabit Unmanaged Switch [ Connected to Netgear GS110TP Switch, 3 Desktop Computers, Printer, Several wireless iOS devices ] [ Download for TL-SG108 - TP-Link ]

- Netgear GS110TP Managed POE Switch [Connected to QNAP TS-451+ NAS ] [ GS110TP | Product | Support | NETGEAR ]

- QNAP TS-451+ NAS

- Netgear R7000 configured to use No-IP DDNS, VPN, OpenVPN

Summary of Network Connections Above:
Modem > Netgear Router > TPLink Switch > [Desktop Computers, Printer, Wireless iOS Devices ] > Netgear GS110TP Switch > QNAP NAS

What I've Done So Far:
- Configured the Netgear router for VPN. [ See Graphic Below ]

- Installed OpenVPN on desktop at work.

- Connected via VPN to my network according to the OpenVPN icon was green.

- Disabled UPnP, it had several settings before I disabled the setting.

- Added to Port Forwarding setting for a setting for VPN-PPTP. See graphic below. Didn't change anything.

Goals
- To connect to my home network and all it's devices from outside home network.

- To add Dahau cameras in the near future and view remotely on laptop or iPhone. [ The reason that got me started on this journey ]

- Wanted to make the network secure, therefore I'm wanting to setup a VPN into my home network.

- To use QNAP QSync [ Similar to DropBox ] for computers inside and outside my home network. It's worked until the changes above were made for computers outside my network. Inside is OK.

- For family to use Plex Media streaming from the NAS.
From my computer at work it's connected via VPN [OpenVPN Icon Green ], but when I use WhatsMyIP is shows the IP 157.x.....where I am at work. I thought this should be my router Internet facing IP.

- From work I can connect to my Netgear router and it shows a VPN connection from 157.x ......

When I do a CMD and IPConfig at work, my IP is 192.168.254.x. My home network is on 192.168.1.x.

PortForwarding_VPN-PPTP.JPG
RouterStyleSetToRouterMode.JPG
VPN_Capture.JPG
I tried to answer all the questions that I could see coming, sorry it's so long of a post. But if there is something else, just let me know and I will do my best to answer.

My question is how do I get access to my other device on the home network .... Plex Media, 3 Desktops. Make QSync work.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated gals/guys !!!
I wanted to get this working before I move on to the cameras. I think I need a VPN..... opinions ???

Last edited:

Indycars

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks !!! That seems to have worked. I will have to test further when all my computers are running.

That was too easy if that fixes all my problems!

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Make sure you reserve the ip adderss for your cameras so they won’t ever change, you prob already did this but just in case you didn’t .. also set rules in the network to block outside access to the WAN, make sure your cameras can only talk to the LAN.

Indycars

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't have any cameras yet. Just planning for them.

Will have to do some research how to block those cameras.

Thanks!