VPN setup

drew91101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have been trying to figure out how to setup a VPN for a couple weeks now and am coming up blank. I had an IT friend over to help and in 2 hours, we (mostly him) managed to get a VPN set up on my router and I was able to connect to it from my phone. The next morning, I could not connect.

I called my friend and he said that every week or so, I have to update my ip address and download a new openvpn cert in order to connect.

My question is, is this what everyone here does? I feel like I am missing something. I know the topic has been discussed at length around the forum but not in a central thread.

A little bit of info:
I have a Synology 1900AT router which has a VPN server built into the software. I also have OpenVPN connect installed on my phone. I have basic internet service from my ISP and do not have a static IP. I'm sure you guys will need more info so just try and guide me in the right direction and I'll post it.

I should also mention, I understand the concept of a VPN and understand basic networking.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You need to setup DynamicDNS, it will give you a hostname that wont change as your IP will

drew91101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks @nayr, that's what I figured. @looney2ns that's the one I went with. Still working out the configuration trying to get it to work but my friend must have changed a bunch of settings around because my router only works at 100mbps and I'm not getting any alert emails from my NVR now. I'm just going to reset the router and start over.