VPN to similar network IP scheme

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
I setup open VPN on a netgear nighthawk, grabbed the VPN config files.

Tried to connect with a Win10 laptop from off-site location. OpenVNC client reports it is connected, however I am not able to access the BI web GUI nor the TightVNC service hosted on the BI machine. I quickly realized both sites have a 192.168.1.0/24 network scheme. To test the theory, I took the same laptop to work (non 192.x.x.x network), and I am able to access the BI web GUI and the TightVNC service on the BI machine.

Anyone experience this?

Besides the following choices I've listed below, I am soliciting feedback on any other options I might have:
VPN from work (least convenient), as the need will be primarily when there are issues with BI system.
Changing one of the networks away from the 192.168.1.0/24 can be done, but will be a pain in the buttocks

It should be noted, the primary goal of the VPN will be for the customer to check-in on BI via their phone. Although I have not tested that functionality yet, I anticipate it will not affect their access via phone unless they are on a remote network with a 192.168.1.0/24 network

Swampledge

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this. Since I anticipate using my VPN regularly when at one of my kids‘ houses, I‘ll look at configuring my home network with a different private address scheme.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Prior to this, my limited VPN experience has been with non-residential devices that afford the opportunity to configure VPN users with their own subnet that is routable to the internal LAN. I surmise the Netgear AC1900 does not provide this option, although I will look harder the next time I have access to confirm whether or not it does.

Going to scan the Pfsense docs for any info related to the above (VPN subnet). I have a netgate I'll be configuring in a similar fashion, soon.

Last edited:

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this. Since I anticipate using my VPN regularly when at one of my kids‘ houses, I‘ll look at configuring my home network with a different private address scheme.
Your options may be affected by the limitations of the hardware, though it's been a while since I last had to deal with a home router that could not be changed away from a 192.168 network. Helpful information about private networks that @Swampledge referred to, for those of you playing along at home... IPv4 Private Address Space and Filtering