Want to Add wifi camera to secured wired camera setup

swather450

n3wb
Reaction score
I have been running a BI server for over a year with 5 wired IP cameras to a POE router and dedicated server that is off the internet. I have a need to run another camera in house that I just can't get a CAT6 cable to so I want to run a a wifi camera into the system. I bought a TP-Link Access Point to plug into the POE router/switch and am trying to connect a wyze camera to that access point with no luck.

I think the issue is with the wyze dedicated app not being able to get onto the internet, but not sure.

Bottom line, am I even going about this the right way? Can I plug the AP into the POE switch and then connect a wifi camera to this AP? I want the wifi camera to be fed into my BI server and to stay off the internet.

If it is just the camera that is my issue, is there another camera to get that would be around the same price point?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A lot of wifi cameras need to see the internet to work because of the cloud based application. Not sure specifically about that one.

Why not try a powerline adapter adapter instead and run internet through the electric line? Depending on wiring of the house and age, this may be a perfect solution to get a wired camera there.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.