Warning triangle on one camera - BI5

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have 6 cameras on BI 5 - 5 POE and one WIFI (no other option)

The WIFI one (SV3C C-11 UK) shows a Warning Triangle I've been trying to troubleshoot for the past few hours.

This is what it looks like
1698340962248.png

Log is clear
1698341007926.png

Hardware Decode is off
1698341052424.png

I think I may have narrowed it down to a discrepancy I noted in the cameas status tab
1698341150021.png

It seems the FPS/Key for both main & sub-streams is off by comparison to the other cameras (a combo of HiLook& Lilin). Bitrate seemson the low side too, but it's set just like the other cameras, according to a bit_rate_comparison_chartI found in some other posts.

I've read that the FPS and Frame interval (called by various names like "I Frame Interval") should be the same, hence all my cams are at 15 PFS (both in their own settings and BI as I read this is the sweet spot).

For the SV3C Camera,my settings look like this:
1698341459099.png
Key Frame Interval Range 2 to 300 - i don't know what that means and I can't seem to find an explanation.

I tried 15 (same as FPS), 2, 150, 300, halving for the substream, both the same - nothing works to stabilise the FPS/key ratioin BI status.

Maybe this isn't even the problem (LOL) and I'm looking in the wrong place....

By contrast,the Hilook cameras have these settings which seem to work really well with BI:

1698341556188.png

Many many thanks for any suggestions!

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Change the bitrate control to CBR. That probably will fix the FPS/1.

The triangle is probably isn't caused by that but due to WiFi and either slow or losing the connection. Look to the right of that same screen and it should show the number of NoSignals. Also, in the log screen at bottom, click Save to file if it isn't checked, let it run for a while, then Open folder. It may show you more than the summary that you posted above. Look for signal restored for that cam.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
All the warning means is that you have a KEY value below 0.20

It does that to let you know that it could have issues with motion.

With a KEY of 0.12, there is the potential that anything in and out of the field of view in under 8 seconds could be missed by BI motion.

You could try making that camera CBR instead of VBR to see if it will honor the key frame interval you used.

But sometimes the cheap ones will do whatever they want to do regardless of the settings you give it. Reolink is notorious for that with key frames at night and the KEY will drop even lower than yours.

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I think the same warning icon can be used to indicate any number of problems, but yeah in this case I agree it is probably the iframe interval being so long. I second the suggestion to try CBR encoding. Clearly the camera isn't honoring the setting in VBR mode, maybe it will work in CBR.

Reaction score
Thanks, Mike and wittaj

VBR now selected for both main and sub-streams
1698344854828.png

Unfortunately, it made no difference to the KEY value - still hovering around 0.11 - 0.12 (I restarted the camera in BI a few times to make sure it picks up the updated settings)

Could these settings be useful?
1698345041688.png

No idea what they refer to - who's rate and what are we presenting?

But sometimes the cheap ones will do whatever they want to do regardless of the settings you give it.
Fully agree with this - also, it took 6 attempts to change settings. "Apply" as a button is probably a loose translation for maybe I will, maybe I won't

Cherry on the cake is that I can't figure out how to turn off audio for the substream on this cam either :D
Properly crapped myself when cats climbed the fence and my HP Prodesk with integrated speaker blew my eardrums out

Reaction score
Also, in the log screen at bottom, click Save to file if it isn't checked, let it run for a while, then Open folder. It may show you more than the summary that you posted above. Look for signal restored for that cam.
You're absolutely right! No Signal is 1 for this camera
1698345719881.png

Checked the box for save to file too, will see if I uncover more clues

Thank you!

Reaction score
Some progress - managed to get the Key to climb to 0.33 stable by switching from 50hz to 60hz. Yellow triangle still there, but getting closer.

The experiments continue

1698347926627.png

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I think the triangle is supposed to go away when you click the camera once in Blue Iris's local console. But if the condition that caused it is still present, it will probably return right away.

Reaction score
Having changed from CBR to VBR Rate, while on 60hz, BI now shows the same 0.33 Key, but the warning triangle is gone. :ipct:

This is at 15 FPS and 15 KEY for both Main and Sub Streams

I'm afraid this is as far as I can push this camera stability-wise. BI is happy with it, and so am I.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Reaction score
I think the triangle is supposed to go away when you click the camera once in Blue Iris's local console. But if the condition that caused it is still present, it will probably return right away.
Yeah, exactly that. It was going away for a second, then coming back. Stable now!

Reaction score
According to the first post, you were on VBR and not CBR.

The yellow triangle will show up whenever the KEY drops below 0.20
My apologies, I was on VBR indeed. Having changed so many settings I got confused.

Very good to know the Key alert range, thank you.

3 mammoth task remain:
1. Setting up storage properly;
2. Remote access (most likely with ZeroTier)
3. Start learning alerts and how to set them up properly (zones, phone notifications, etc..)

Let the reading commence!