Watching blue iris over network killing my WAN speeds

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Cameras out of the equation for a minute, if you plug your PC directly into the modem, you can do speed tests that are around 900 Mbps... but if you plug the router into the modem (and the PC into the router), then the speed tests drop to 500-600 Mpbs? That's weird, and if I were you, that's something I'd want to solve (or at least understand) before adding the cameras back into the equation.

Might be worth checking the support forums for your router. Unifi had an issue with their Unifi Security Gateway 3-Port (USG-3) awhile ago. On certain ISPs, it would act like above. I think it finally got fixed with a firmware update. Small chance, but your router may have something like that going on.
Ubiquiti Networks Community

sotorious

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
how do you guys view your cams within the network if you are not at the actual cam pc?

sotorious

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Cameras out of the equation for a minute, if you plug your PC directly into the modem, you can do speed tests that are around 900 Mbps... but if you plug the router into the modem (and the PC into the router), then the speed tests drop to 500-600 Mpbs? That's weird, and if I were you, that's something I'd want to solve (or at least understand) before adding the cameras back into the equation.

Might be worth checking the support forums for your router. Unifi had an issue with their Unifi Security Gateway 3-Port (USG-3) awhile ago. On certain ISPs, it would act like above. I think it finally got fixed with a firmware update. Small chance, but your router may have something like that going on.
Ubiquiti Networks Community
I have searched high and low, low and high for an answer ive went into the settings of the router and tinkered with everything possible to the point where i went over my 1TB limit from comcast lol and its only the middle of the month.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
how do you guys view your cams within the network if you are not at the actual cam pc?
If I'm at a PC, I'll http over to its built-in web server (which is pretty awesome). If I'm on the couch or something, I'll use the BI remote app on my phone.

Folks here call the web server piece "UI3". One of the admin's here wrote it as a free add-on to BI... It's about a million times better (IMO) than the default BI web interface, but folks that weren't on the forum here probably didn't know about it. A few months ago, the BI author started including UI3 with BI, so everyone that has BI (well, an updated version of BI anyway) gets it.

Try http://<your BI machine IP address>/ui3.htm and see if it works.

sotorious

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes that worked, and ive gotten to pop that up before, but i think i didnt use it because even thought the quality is better and the images are higher fps it takes a lot more bandwith this will drop me down to the 100s. is there a way to change the bitrate for it?

Reaction score
That router should definitely be able to handle the throughput, so it has to be something with a configuration or network cable or something that is in the mix when your speed drops.

Also check your manual, and try disabling "Anti-Bufferbloat" for duration of your next speedtest thru the router.

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Maybe you want to play around with iPerf a bit to check the bandwidth through your network segments.

If I go "end to end" (or between any two points, actually) on my network I get ~940Mb/s on the iPerf tests. That's more or less about the best you can get over a gigabit LAN. Bear in mind this not my ISP speed, it's the measure of my network's throughput capability.

End to end in this case is PC1 <> D-Link DGS-2208 gigabit switch <> Netgear R7000 router <> Netgear GS305 gigabit switch <> PC2.

iPerf.jpg

Last edited:

sotorious

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Maybe you want to play around with iPerf a bit to check the bandwidth through your network segments.

If I go "end to end" (or between any two points, actually) on my network I get ~940Mb/s on the iPerf tests. That's more or less about the best you can get over a gigabit LAN. Bear in mind this not my ISP speed, it's the measure of my network's throughput capability.

End to end in this case is PC1 <> D-Link DGS-2208 gigabit switch <> Netgear R7000 router <> Netgear GS305 gigabit switch <> PC2.

View attachment 38234

So i would need 2 smaller gigabit switches to be able to test this?

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
No, you test it through the LAN as it is. The test is PC to PC, traversing whatever is between that's connecting them. That just happens to be what's between in my setup, all linked by Cat5e.

sotorious

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No, you test it through the LAN as it is. The test is PC to PC, traversing whatever is between that's connecting them. That just happens to be what's between in my setup, CAT5e cable notwithstanding.
Is there a command i can run to get those results in cmd?

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You have to download the iPerf program then run it from the command line. You start it on one PC as the server and then on the other as the client.

If you search for iPerf you should be able to find it easy.

Reaction score
this is the message i get when it stays open after a bit
To address this right-click in the UI3 window, select UI Settings, change timeout from 10 (minutes) to 0 if you don’t want it to ever timeout on it’s own. I think this resets back to 10 when you open a new window. I use the UI3 interface everyday, and I have to make the same change so it stays up on a monitor throughout the day.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
To address this right-click in the UI3 window, select UI Settings, change timeout from 10 (minutes) to 0 if you don’t want it to ever timeout on it’s own. I think this resets back to 10 when you open a new window. I use the UI3 interface everyday, and I have to make the same change so it stays up on a monitor throughout the day.
All UI3 settings (including this one) are remembered in the browser's "local storage". As long as you use the same browser on the same device, the setting should be remembered. If it is not, then "local storage" is probably being blocked by your privacy/security settings. Local storage is often lumped together under the same heading as "Cookies" as the two features serve a similar purpose.

Reaction score
I believe @Whoaru99 is just trying to get you setup to troubleshoot your network to identify the guilty component/cable/network adapter. With iPerf you can add components and cables until the proble resurfaces, and then (lets say if it is a network cable), replace the defective cable and proceed to test further.

If it turns out that I am wrong, and that router is not passing the traffic at the required speed, testing through the router would highlight this deficiency. These consumer routers run an OS, and I believe most do network switching using software, its supposed to be fast but possibly you are hitting a speed limit for some reason.

Also don’t under estimate your cables, cross talk or high signal loss on one or more pins could significantly impact signal transmission. Even something simpler like a bend in the cable or running near electrical lines can cause problems.

Since none of us know the details of your house & wiring layout, the easiest way to troubleshoot is to setup a performance test and then slowly add components back into the system until the issue is identified clearly.

Reaction score
All UI3 settings (including this one) are remembered in the browser's "local storage". As long as you use the same browser on the same device, the setting should be remembered. If it is not, then "local storage" is probably being blocked by your privacy/security settings. Local storage is often lumped together under the same heading as "Cookies" as the two features serve a similar purpose.
Sorry be, makes sense, but since I always open that link in an incognito window, probably explains the behavior I was seeing.

sotorious

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
New discovery guys i only lose 400megs plus when cams are open on Mozilla. when i have cams open on chrome that does not happen.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
Chrome is what I use for viewing my BI setup either on a phone or PC, when I'm on my LAN, or remotely on a phone over the cell network or on another PC at another location.

Chrome really plays well with Blue Iris UI3.

To view remotely (when not on my LAN) I, and many folks here, use Open VPN running on an Asus router at my house, and activate an Open VPN session on the remote PC or phone so that I'm logged into my home LAN through a secure encrypted tunnel. This avoids the dangerous practice of port forwarding.

Having this VPN available also allows me to securely surf from anywhere, even when on insecure WiFi networks by switching the VPN on in my phone and effectively surfing through my home system, with a secure, encrypted connection both ways. This is handy if you want to do something like shopping and using a credit card number while on an insecure WiFi system such as a hotel, airport, coffee shop, etc.

Port forwarding opens your LAN up to easy hacking and attack. Setting up a VPN to access things on your LAN remotely is the preferred way to go.

This is off topic for your original issue, but since you mentioned that you port forward for remote viewing, I thought it should be mentioned.