Ways to reduce CPU when multiple people are logged in?

Jared

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey guys, So i have a system with 41 cameras and it runs around 60% when there is a lot of activity, 45-50 when no one is around. When a couple people are logged on, the CPU jumps up in the 90's and i cant have that. I have 90% of the cameras running at 7 fps and a few running at 10fps. All direct to disk. Just looking for some help hopefully to bring down that 90% drastically, i hope that anyone of 5 people or 5 people can be logged on at the same time viewing the cameras without killing the CPU.

I guess i can bring the 7fps down to 5fps. But any other suggestions would be helpful. Maybe a way to throttle the users back?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Depending on the method of live view being used, (anything that streams H.264 video) you may get some benefit from modifying the 3 encoder profiles under Blue Iris Options > Web server.

Particularly the "Preset" option, "ultrafast" uses the least amount of CPU. I would say to also enable the option to resize the output frame (to something small) but I don't think it has worked in months.

Jared

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks a lot fenderman. I really do appreciate your help. I will give it a try and let you know.

Jared

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
i did change preset option and it did help quite a bit. Id say it brought it down 8-10%. I think i am going to bring frame rate down to 5fps on most cameras. I want to get that % down as low as i can. 70% and under what im shooting for. Sucks i have to go into the camera settings again. 41 cameras takes a long time. I read that nvidia cards raise cpu also but i needed an hdmi port for my monitor which is 100 foot away from the nvr. Is there a better solution?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you using hardware acceleration, and are you sure that it is working?

41 cameras is a lot if they are more than like 1 MP. You may not be able to hardware accelerate more than a certain number of streams without actually increasing usage... I'm not sure.

If you have the Blue Iris GUI open, make sure you limited live preview frame rate to like 1 FPS -- Blue Iris Options > Cameras tab.

Jared

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have them all set at 1.2 MP. I do have hardware accelerate checked, however im not sure how to check to see if it is working. Currently i have live preview frame rate set to 5. I will adjust it. One question. If i minimize, or just have it run as service with no GUI open, would that cut down on cpu? Looking at the main monitor is not important 99% of the time. I guess i can just check it out myself, i just downloaded your UI2 yesterday and now i can see the cpu, something i couldnt see before on BI web server page.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
You can run as service to reduce CPU usage. Minimized should have a similar effect.

You can know if hardware acceleration is working 2 ways: 1) it should reduce CPU usage. 2) A tool like GPU-Z should show your intel graphics adapter as having some significant usage.

Jared

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for you help again. I did limit live preview down to 1 on the main GUI and that cut 20+% off cpu, now im running in the 60 percentile range with 3 people logged on. AWESOME!!!! I will check out the GPU-Z tool later today.