Weather Cam Suggestions

Henry_G

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi!
I've got 5 cameras for security:
-Dahua 2 - 4MP IPC-T5442T-ZE
-Dahua 3 - IPC-HDW5231R-ZE

I recently got a cool weather station and would like an associated camera to show the weather only. What should I get?
Thanks,
Henry

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
What kind of view? Sky only or terrain and sky? Black and white at night or color at night? Fixed view or PTZ?

Depending on how "good" you want your video to be a 2MP like a 2231T-ZS would work or go for the Color4K-X if you want 8MP and color at night (double the price of the 2231 though).

Henry_G

n3wb
Reaction score
Great questions! I’m .5 mile to the beach. Direct sun. Not concerned about night. “Good”? Good enough to see clouds and sunset steaming on weatherunderground. So, actually, the 2MP is probably sufficient.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Being that close to the ocean, be very careful to make sure the connections are weatherproof and use some silicon based grease on all the screws. Otherwise corrosion will make it impossible to take the camera(s) down again.

When I say weatherproof the connection that means using dielectric grease on the RJ45 connector, the standard cable gland, wrapped with a self-vulcanizing tape like Coax Seal, then a couple of layers of quality electrical tape, 3M 33+ or 3M 88.

I used to upload data and a weather cam to WU. I stopped it all because WU isn't even close to what it used to be since IBM took it over and they are discontinuing webcams as well. You may want to reconsider doing this in the first place, or go to an alternate weather site. WU is dying a slow painful death.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Weather camera use the IPC-Color4K-X , it's a killer.
Check this wonderful review by @bp2008