Web: error : no stream message BI some cams

jazzy1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
when I check BI status messages I see a couple cams getting this “web: error: no stream” message. Anyone know what this means and what may be the cause?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure about that exact message, but I'm guessing your video streams are being interrupted by something, and then Blue Iris is automatically recovering. Cameras could be rebooting or there could be an intermittent network error causing this. Intermittent network errors are extremely common if you are using WiFi.

jazzy1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm not sure about that exact message, but I'm guessing your video streams are being interrupted by something, and then Blue Iris is automatically recovering. Cameras could be rebooting or there could be an intermittent network error causing this. Intermittent network errors are extremely common if you are using WiFi.
Thanks. The cameras getting this error are on POE Ethernet. One is a dahua ptz and one starlight dahua. Any way to figure out what may be causing the interruption? You think it’s network related?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Could be. What is your CPU and memory usage looking like on the Blue Iris server?

To diagnose network related problems it can help to run a continuous set of pings to the cameras, and see what the latency and packet loss looks like. Ideally, latency will be at or near 0 milliseconds and there will be no packet loss.

I wrote a tool that makes this kind of diagnostic much easier: GitHub - bp2008/pingtracer: Ping Tracer continuously pings each network host between your computer and a given destination, helping identify the source of connectivity problems. -- You can enter the addresses of your cameras separated by commas and it will graph the ping responses for you, calculating average latency and packet loss % and whatnot. In a perfect world you would see basically nothing on the graphs because the latency would be 0ms all the time, but IP cameras don't tend to have the best response times so this is more realistic:

These cameras, all Dahuas, are running fine despite the small amount of packet loss, except for the one that is offline of course.

jazzy1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
CPU around 60% and memory around 60% on Windows 10, older gen. Dell i7 PC

tool looks great!..but how do I execute it on Windows?..this looks foreign to me without .exe file!?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
tool looks great!..but how do I execute it on Windows?..this looks foreign to me without .exe file!?
Oh, sorry, Github can be a bit confusing for people who aren't used to it yet. You probably downloaded the source code. You need to get a release from the releases tab: Releases · bp2008/pingtracer · GitHub

There, you'll find PingTracer.1.6.zip

jazzy1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ok! here's what I got...seems to look fine right?
could that message have to do with web alerts??...I have the PTZ triggered by web alert in relation to this other cam...they are the two which exhibit this message

Attachments

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Your network looks cleaner than mine :)

The error message is vague, but it doesn't mention alerting or triggering or anything of that sort so I doubt that is it. I wouldn't worry about it unless you actually see the streams getting interrupted regularly in the Blue Iris console.