Weird Trike

robpur

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

It took me a while to figure this one out. I've seen a variety of trikes that have been converted with hand cranks, and I automatically thought that's how this trike came about. But I saw some things the didn't make sense. What are those bars attached to the steering head that point down and to the rear for? Why is the front boom so high compared to the seat? What's that little wheel in the middle for?

I won't admit how much time I spent looking at the trike before I saw it in a different way. Suddenly I saw that it was not a converted trike. Instead it's a converted wheelchair. That's why it has the little wheels. Someone put a trike front end on a wheelchair.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And it appears to be powered in some way other than his legs. I'm trying to say this delicately: I'm sorry if he is, in fact, disabled but I would hope that would be a qualifier to allow a device powered by other than human muscle onto that trail....otherwise, every lazy ass person with a gas-powered 4 wheeler, quad, ATV, etc. will show up and I guarantee you...they'll mess it up for everyone. :confused:

robpur

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
There's a few disabled people that have shown up on hand cranked trikes, and there's a guy that I know is not disabled that occasionally rides one. I've seen him and his disabled wife come by with her on a trike and him on an upright bike, and I have seen them both on hand cranked trikes.

There's signs on the trail saying that motorized vehicles are not permitted, but that doesn't apply to electric bikes, scooters, electric unicycles, scooters and such. I think it has something to do with the amount of power the motor produces or the top speed of the vehicle.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Maybe I don't understand the concept of a hand crank. If disabled, got that. But do people use them otherwise? If so, then why when you have those big muscled legs?

Opposite of kayaks. People want the foot powered since legs work better (and keeps hands free for fishing).

robpur

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Maybe I don't understand the concept of a hand crank. If disabled, got that. But do people use them otherwise? If so, then why when you have those big muscled legs?

Opposite of kayaks. People want the foot powered since legs work better (and keeps hands free for fishing).
Some people use them for an upper body workout, but they are expensive. Maybe since his wife is disabled they somehow ended up with two trikes and he rides one sometimes. Heck, I have a trike, a long wheelbase recumbent, two short wheelbase recumbents and an upright mountain bike. Each bike works different muscles and each one excels in a different way. The long wheelbase recumbent is best for long distance riding, short wheelbase recumbents are better for zipping around things, the trike is a nice laid back experience and the mountain bike is best on dirt and gravel. So I can see how someone that doesn't need a hand crank might use one just for the different experience. These are recreational riders out for exercise and the experience. A commuter or a racer would be more interested in efficiency or speed. Personally I have no interest in a hand crank because it looks like too much work.

robpur

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yep, that's what I figured out after looking at it for a while. I was thinking converted trike but then I suddenly saw the wheelchair. I saw a YouTube video about this kind of conversion so some people are doing it.