What am I doing wrong?

Reaction score
Hi all, we had a rash of break-ins and mailbox robberies lately on our cul-de-sac.

I had thought my 5mp Amcrest camera connected to my Blue Iris server would be good enough to help out our street security. When the police came to ask if I was able to get footage of the perp's license plate, I thought I could help out but as seen from the screenshot below, it's just blurry. The perp's vehicle is leaving the cul-de-sac in that direction. And this is pretty much an ideal scenario e.g. broad daylight.

So is the ideal setup to get a higher resolution camera? To add another camera angled more so the license plate is more perpendicular to the camera? I'm looking at the highly rated EmpireTech cameras like the IPC-T54IR-ZE but their specs seem similar to my Amcrest IP5M-T1277EB-AI. Am I configuring my Blue Iris 3 server incorrectly? Any help would be appreciated!

vlcsnap-2024-09-28-15h11m50s082.png

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Look at the LPR forum.
Generally speaking LPR requires a separate dedicated camera, with special tuning/settings to get plates in the day and night.

Placement is key, and you'll need two of them

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wrong camera and wrong angle. A 2.8 or 3.6mm focal length will NEVER capture a plate on the street at that distance.

Has NOTHING to do with BI.

More MP will not help you. Most of us are using 2MP cameras to capture plates.

The 54IR camera is way better than the camera you have as it is on the ideal MP/sensor ratio, but at that distance it wouldn't work either for plates.

The ZE is good to about 20 feet, the Z4E to about 60 feet and the 52IR-Z12E to about 150 feet.

Digital zoom only works on TV.

You would have to set the camera up specifically to read plates. You need the proper camera with OPTICAL zoom for the distance you are covering and the angle to get plates.

Keep in mind that this is a camera dedicated to plates and not an overview camera also. It is as much an art as it is a science. You will need two cameras. For LPR we need to OPTICALLY zoom in tight to make the plate as large as possible. For most of us, all you see is the not much more than a vehicle in the entire frame. Now maybe in the right location during the day it might be able to see some other things, but not at night.

At night, we have to run a very fast shutter speed (1/2,000) and in B/W with IR and the image will be black. All you will see are head/tail lights and the plate. Some people can get away with color if they have enough street lights, but most of us cannot. Here is a representative sample of plates I get at night of vehicles traveling about 45MPH at 175 feet from my 2MP 5241-Z12E camera (that is all that is needed for plates):

1727638309121.png

See the LPR subforum for more details.

Reaction score
As everyone has stated, you need a cam that is zoomed in to the road that will get you a large plate capture.

See these threads:

SIMPLY LPR.JPG

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
this is what I'd use in your scenario EmpireTech 1/1.8" CMOS 4MP IR Vari-focal Bullet Network Camera IPC-B54IR-Z4E-S3

RE:I'm looking at the highly rated EmpireTech cameras like the IPC-T54IR-ZE but their specs seem similar to my Amcrest IP5M-T1277EB-AI.

They are quite different in clarity and tuneability. that Amcrest is basically an overview cam or an indoor cam. the ZE is good but you need a Z4e from an angle to catch a plate from that position.
1727660902142.png
1727661749316.png

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
YouTube is uploading them at 360P maybe the 1080Pwill be available later. But if you can't read the plates blames YouTube....on my console they are sharp enough to hand over to the PoPo.