What are the best wireless ip cams that allow hotspot zone motion detection?

kingpoop

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I a needing to buy a wireless ip camera and was looking for the following features:

• Wireless
  • Outdoor
  • Night Vision
  • Internal web server
  • Hotspot zone motion detection
  • email or ftp alerts
  • remote control
  • tilt / pan /zoom 10x

can anyone suggest some cams?

Thanks for you help.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
there are none, wireless IP cameras are all the worst.. I suggest running a wire, then a whole world of better products becomes avilable.

kingpoop

n3wb
Reaction score
Could you offer some good wired products? I am mostly interested in hotspot zone triggers and being able to send email or ftp alerts when a hotspot is triggered.
thanks,

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
All that is pretty much standard features for any Wired PoE (Power over Ethernet cable) camera.. I use Dahua personally because they play nicely with MacOSX, Hikvision is the most popular brand on these forums, but you have to be weary about region locking and firmware updates.. if you really want it to be a PTZ then there is a decent cheap Chinese PTZ that is popular on these forums.. dont know if it'll do email/ftp, suppose it should.. someone whom owns one should tell you more about them.

Minimum get a 1080P (2MP) Camera, anything less is a waste of time and money.. UHD-4K (12MP) are already widely avilable and costs are coming down quick.

I need more information on your environment before you'll get a model recommendation out of me.. how many cameras, indoors/outdoors/mixture, major goals and objectives, physical install location of camera(s) all impacts what camera is best where.

Right now I'd say go look at both Hikvision and Dahua's product lineups, look at whats avilable and what cameras your keen on, choose a company and stick w/em as you add more cameras.. so they all run same interfaces and have same features.. mixing and matching brands is where most newbies make a big mistake, pick one good brand and ride the train; you'll be much happier.. Image quality wise they are all on a level playing field since they use mostly the same sensors and optics, so very little difference can be seen in image quality between brands when they share much of the same specs to start off with.

When you find a camera you like just come back here and search or ask, more than likely someone will have some feedback on it.. combined we have done it all.

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yep, thats an excellent camera.. domes are great for low height installs like near a entry way.. never know what crazy old neighbor is going to think your big brother and try to come smash them just because they are there.. If you have bad neighbors, buy vandal resistant ones definitely.

turrets are much like domes except without the vandal protection, they are easier to adjust and have better IR (night vision) without the dome.. but need to be put up high enough they are out of reach or in an environment where vandals are of little concern.

kingpoop

n3wb
Reaction score
Great advice. I would be installing the cam up high and out of reach from vandals, so, maybe a different model would be better. I also planned on installing it so that its not easily seen.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
dont put em up too high or you just get the tops of people's heads.. ideal height is actually head height so people looking down can still get a face shot under a hat bill..

but most people cant do face height because, well that puts em in your face.. not discrete at all, so 8ft is about as high as you want to go unless you got a bunch of zoom and your looking further out.

biggest problem with trying to be discrete is not shooting your self in the foot, I see many captures of stolen packages off front patios.. and they put them up as high as they could in a corner so they would be low key.. well they never had a chance of getting any video with an ID once a guy with a hat walked up and kept his eyes to the ground.

put a long winded note on your front door telling people to nicely leave you the fuck alone, make it all personal and funny then put it high up on your door.. you'll find alot of people will actually stop and read it, lifting there chin for the camera.

kingpoop

n3wb
Reaction score
That's perfect, a deer in the headlights sign to make them look up.