what baud rate is best?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think my mind was officially blown when they then started shipping 2400 baud modems.
And when we got to 56K (v92) modems I'm thinking "oh, this will get us into the 21st century, we'll never need anything faster." :lmao:

Reminds me of when 640K max RAM in a PC was "all we'd ever need".....uh huh. :headbang:

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I still have to think about baud rates.....

There is a lot of automation still done today via serial port communication. That transmission type still requires you to select the appropriate baud rate when trying to make the initial connection. I probably still have at least a half dozen or more device that communicate this way.

Reaction score

There is a lot of automation still done today via serial port communication. That transmission type still requires you to select the appropriate baud rate when trying to make the initial connection. I probably still have at least a half dozen or more device that communicate this way.
maybe he meant bitrate byte rate.png

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Oh, I believe that.

Heck circa 2010 6 years after I retired I was setting up truck weighing stations and the associated PCs' and printers for some guy's certified scale business and even then few of the standard consumer-grade laptops had DB9 serial ports, you had to hope that the USB-to-serial dongles would work. Of course, there were the Panasonic ToughBooks that had the serial ports.....but they were VERY, VERY expensive then as well.

lulu5kamz

Known around here
Reaction score
Many years ago, I worked for a data communications company that was a competitor to Hayes. We introduced a modem called POPCOM to compete with Hayes. Here is a link to a PC Magazine article about our modem from the August 21, 1984 issue. You can also browse the complete issue (about 400 pages) if you really want to reminisce about the computer industry at the time by looking at the other articles and advertisements in this issue.

wpiman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I had good video until I attempted to use AI to keep the false alerts to a minimum.
AI on the cameras? or on Codeproject? If it is on the camera-- maybe it consumes too much of the processing power on that camera...

wpiman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
on Codeproject
Then check the CPU/GPU on your machine. I personally run Codeproject on a seperate machine than BI.

1. I want to separate Blue Iris which runs well (it is a product) from codeproject which is a project and can versions which can be unreliable.
2. I can install CP on Linux and Docker and limit its CPU/MEM usage. I can do acceleration on those machines as well.

Reaction score
Then check the CPU/GPU on your machine. I personally run Codeproject on a seperate machine than BI.

1. I want to separate Blue Iris which runs well (it is a product) from codeproject which is a project and can versions which can be unreliable.
2. I can install CP on Linux and Docker and limit its CPU/MEM usage. I can do acceleration on those machines as well.
is there a simple safe program that I can use to check for bottlenecks on my network?

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Our NC State DMV still uses modems for backup at authorized vehicle inspection stations in case the Internet is down. The state owns and maintains the entire system, so if a PC goes down the affected inspection station has to wait until the state sends out a repair person which means no state inspections can be done until the PC is back online.

Reaction score
It that during motion? Codeproject will crank then.
here is a quick update
one of my Dahua eyeballs died on my it lost connection to the net so I pulled it from the mailbox and hooked up the other eyeball I had standing by. after hooking it up to the switch it directly inside it is dead Jim. I was hoping my troubles were over but I am still getting lost connection to server errors on the machine running bi ui3, which after rebooting lead me to another symptom the ui3 view is about 10 seconds behind the BI desktop

Reaction score
here is a quick update
one of my Dahua eyeballs died on my it lost connection to the net so I pulled it from the mailbox and hooked up the other eyeball I had standing by. after hooking it up to the switch it directly inside it is dead Jim. I was hoping my troubles were over but I am still getting lost connection to server errors on the machine running bi ui3, which after rebooting lead me to another symptom the ui3 view is about 10 seconds behind the BI desktop
It's not common, but you could have a camera not obeying the IP rules. Only way to find it is disconnect devices in turn and see if it helps. Reconnect to confirm the problem comes back. A reboot may fix it (the camera) but it's likely yo reoccur at some point. In your case, I suppose you could start by disconnecting one side of the driveway, etc.

Reaction score
here is an update to this saga.

we lost all lability to log into a local government website that we use for checking customers addresses and billing info, we were unable to login through any pc but could through apple, weird right? anyway we notified that site about the issue and a senior it tech called back and asked to get on line to see what was happening. it turns out the website had recently updated their security and it was having a battle with Avast anti track. we had the log in link set to log into that site when ever a browser was opened on any machine on the network so you did not actually be trying to log in just opening that window was enough.

netgear sent a new switch that and the camera failure may just be a coincidence