What Cables (pre-made) to Purchase

dmanindfw

n3wb
Reaction score
Will be installing my security camera system soon and am looking for advice on what kind of pre-made Ethernet cables to purchase. I know most of you make your own using bulk cable, ethernet jacks, and crimping tools, but I frankly don't have a need for 1000' of bulk cable, nor do I really want to purchase a crimping tool, etc. and risk messing it up just to do this one time. So I know the basics, no CCA, go with solid core, cat 5e or cat 6, but frankly from looking at all of the pre-made (or is it pre-terminated) cables, beyond specing cat 5e or cat 6, it typically isn't very clear on what beyond that you are getting. Can someone please send me a link for what I should be purchasing. Is shielded cable overkill?

Just so you know my max cable run will likely be 50-75. All cabling will be done in the attic without any exterior exposed cables. I'll be home running all cables for 4 cameras to a NVR with POE ports.

nando

n3wb
Reaction score
I'll always recommend Monoprice. However, you're only going to find stranded cat6 patch cables, not solid. For $20 more than what you'll pay for four 75-ft patch cables, you're better off getting a 250-ft bulk, crimping tool and plugs. Otherwise, you'll have to look elsewhere.

I personally would never run fixed-length cable. There is going to be nothing worse than getting up there and not having enough because you underestimated or had to route the cable around something.

dmanindfw

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks all. I bought a cheap Trendnet crimper, some quality connectors, and a spool of 250' of Monoprice Cat 6 cable and made all of my own. Turned out to be relatively easy and made 5 runs with it and all work great. It's a bit of a tedious process to get all 8 wires lined up in a tiny connector but now I'm glad I did it and learned something in the process.

dmanindfw

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah I used something similar but not monoprice. Small sleve, insert wires, cut wires off at the sleeve, insert sleeve and crimp. BTW, didn't have to cut wires at an angle at all. I cut straight across, all cables worked perfect and didn't have to redo any of them.