What do you think of my potential set-up?

jimpc

n3wb
Reaction score
A little backstory. My sister moved into a new house about 6 months ago. Of course when they get the survey done the neighbors driveway is a foot into her property line and their garage is 3 feet off the property line instead of the required 7. She doesn't mind. I help her get about 35 grand worth of work done, grading the entire acre of land, new front patio, new walkway, sprinkler system, driveway, and of course a new fence which is about 3 feet off of the neighbors driveway. We even gave them some of the old fence that went down when they asked for it. So she goes to plant bushes outside of her fence is when the shit hits the fan. Now the neighbors pile building materials against her new fence and drill the new bushes with their cars. Why you'd do that to someone who has the power to make you take up a foot of your driveway and knock down your garage I have no idea.

Anyways time for a camera system. Looking at 2 - 3 Dahua IPC-HFW5431E-Z for the sides of the house. It's 2 - 3 because the neighbor on the other side of the house is awesome so I'm not sure if we'll just put on in the back of the house pointed at the bad neighbors and one on the bad neighbor's side of the house or if we'll just do all 3 sides. And then we'd go with 1 IPC-HDBW5431E-Z for the front under her awning. Gonna go PoE just not sure if I'd just hook it up to the PC I build her that they never use or getting a dedicated NVR. Which do you recommend and would I just go with Blue Iris if I go with PC? What NVR would you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It sucks.i heard stories from relatives about neighbors doing same thing about property lines.they think oh it's just 2-3 feet lol.it adds up in the end.smh.then u need to add lawyers if they ignore it*sighs*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Dang, that sounds like no fun. Common sense would have told them to just talk to you guys first. House next to us just sold and they staked out the property line. First thing I did was go over and introduce myself and be friendly. I'd try killing them with kindness, much easier and cheaper then the fight that will ensue. Play dumb to the plant issues, that can be fixed. Heck the neighbors might even fix it if they realize that made a big mistake.

I like your plan with the cameras. If any funny business happens, it will be recorded. Do you have a photo of the area? Kinda hard to imagine what it would look like and the distances from camera location to the subjects. That will make a big difference if you want to identify anyone or anything especially at night.

Why the 5431E $300 dome for the front? Dome's don't have as good as optics as a turret. What do you need the motorized camera for? Will she be available to actively control the camera and pan and tilt and zoom. Most people would not be.
DH-IPC-HDBW5431E-Z_Imag2323_thumb.png

These turrets are $69 and work fantastic: link

jimpc

n3wb
Reaction score
I'll be honest with you. I want the motorized camera because I have never set up a camera system and I'd like the variable focus lens to ensure I get the scope of vision I want. Also, I've contacted 3 highly rated sellers on Ali and they're at $150-$160 per camera. I got pricing on the turret version as well, same price. Both cameras have far IR range as well and seem to be the newest of their prosumer line before you get into the big stuff. I can get pictures tomorrow.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'll be honest with you. I want the motorized camera because I have never set up a camera system and I'd like the variable focus lens to ensure I get the scope of vision I want. Also, I've contacted 3 highly rated sellers on Ali and they're at $150-$160 per camera. I got pricing on the turret version as well, same price. Both cameras have far IR range as well and seem to be the newest of their prosumer line before you get into the big stuff. I can get pictures tomorrow.
Not a bad idea. I was just curious. Can you post a link to one at that price? Only one I can find is $299 with that model number.

jimpc

n3wb
Reaction score
They seem to be brand new models so no one has them listed. Perhaps they don't realize the fair market pricing yet. I actually messed up in quoting the price. Doesn't include shipping. Screen cap of convo http://imgur.com/a/nAMTJ

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
They seem to be brand new models so no one has them listed. Perhaps they don't realize the fair market pricing yet. I actually messed up in quoting the price. Doesn't include shipping. Screen cap of convo http://imgur.com/a/nAMTJ
Thanks. I'd be interested in one of these if you can provide a link at some point. Sounds like a competitor to the dahua mini black face at a much more reasonable price.

Anyhow. I think your setup is reasonable. I spent hours debating blue iris and Dahua NVR. I went with NVR for my remote setup. But both are good options. You can't go wrong either way with your location and since you can get to everything easily and you understand windows computers well.

I say you start with her intended and build from there.