What does "Video When Triggered 10:00 min for 5.0 sec" mean?

tacocat

n3wb
Reaction score
In the Record tab, for the Video checkbox it says "Video When Triggered 10:00 min for 5.0 sec"

How do I interpret this?

Does this mean that "When triggered, video will be recorded for 10 minutes"? But what's the 5.0 seconds about?

And how does this relate to the Break time "End trigger unless re-triggered within 10 sec" in the Trigger tab?

Ultimately what I want is this: "Record when motion is detected, and continue to record for 5 minutes after - automatically restarting the clock as long as motion is detected" (so there's no gaps)

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
You may notice those inputs are grayed out. They only activate when you choose one of the options that ends with the word "each" such as "Periodic, each". And then it makes more sense.

For example this configuration would make BI record a 5 second clip every 10 minutes.

You can read more about the different recording modes in the help file.

Blue Iris Help File said:
Video

For each profile, you may choose how video will be recorded. You may choose from:
When triggered. Select if you want to record only when the camera is triggered by motion or another source.

Continuous. Select to record non-stop, which is desirable in some surveillance situations.

Periodic (Every X minutes for Y seconds). Use this option to create evenly spaced recordings of a specific duration. If you specify a small duration (such as 0.1 seconds), the net effect is similar to that of the JPEG periodic recording, except you have the option of combining these images into a larger movie file by using the Combine or cut each option. Blue Iris will align the recording times if the period evenly divides a day. For example, if you select to record every 15 minutes, recordings will occur on the hour, and :15, :30 and :45 minutes past the hour.

Triggered + Periodic. Combines "when triggered" with period. If you set the duration to 0 seconds, a single frame will be captured. When used with the "combine or cut" option, the effect will be a time-lapse video with normal speed recording only when the camera is triggered.

Triggered + Continuous. This option is similar to the "Triggered + Periodic" mode with the important difference that the file is recorded at a normal playback rate and does not require "combine or cut" in order to create a continuously recorded file.

tacocat

n3wb
Reaction score
Oh I see. I thought that they were grayed out because they were unchangable. (The typical UI pattern for settings that don't apply is to hide them.)

Thanks for the clarification.