What is the benefit of installing a Micro SD card if a NVR is capturing and recording data to a hard drive?

soundfx222

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,

This may be a simple answer but I am trying to understand the benefit of installing a micro SD card into an IP camera if data is already being received and recorded to a hard disk on the NVR ? An active IP connection is necessary for the POE function to supply power to the camera and SD card so there is communication with the NVR which scan write to the hard drive. Micro SD cards are something you do not want to pull to read on a PC b/c they are hard enough to install into a camera. So can anyone shine some light on this topic for me? Thank you.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Simple answer is they are backup if the hard drive fails. It's a redundancy issue. But you do not record continuous to SD Card, just on motion as they are not intended to be recording continuous.

You can access the SD card via the web GUI of the camera and/or NVR depending on who makes it. You do not need to remove them from the camera to review.

Last edited:

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
The main reasons for enterprise deployments are:

• Security
  • Redundancy
  • Fail Over
  • Direct Access

In the past Micro SD cards had very little endurance and reliability. Now, with High Endurance and Industrial media the same storage can be used for 24-7-365 recording.

Just five years ago you would be hard pressed to find any maker provide a 10 year warranty for 24-7-365 recording.

With the increase in dash cams, go pro, portable video the industry has pushed this media further to do so. Edge recording is a must have for anyone who is serious about their video security.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

soundfx222

n3wb
Reaction score
Edge recording is a must have for anyone who is serious about their video security
Hi Teken,

The Edge recording term was new to me so I looked it up. Here's a good def and a host of several good reasons that it is beneficial. Thanks for broadening my Knowledge.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
While the SD Card may be capable of continuous recording, in my experience many of the cameras are not. My OEM Dahua's can get wonky once the card is full and it is trying to delete and record at the same time. I have them set to periodically delete older files so that they don't bump up to capacity limit and struggle.

Last edited:

Opeth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can anyone send a picture of his system that setup a sd only for motion while is recordinf 24/7 on a hard drive?

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Can anyone send a picture of his system that setup a sd only for motion while is recordinf 24/7 on a hard drive?
Not sure why the need as it will look exactly like what you see on a NVR / PC via the monitor?!?

Having said this, it can’t be stressed enough to use name brand media. Keeping in mind High Endurance / Industrial Micro SD cards and not the standard ones. TLC vs MLC memory with wear levelling and health check is the difference between compromised video and how long it will last.

Lastly, regardless of the use of edge recording which is critical to employ. Security video must be kept in parallel with standard media like HDD and mirrored to an off site location.

Local storage isn’t any good if the house burned down to the ground or is sucked up by a tornado! Every time I watch a raging fire in building or see a building sucked up by God.

I always say thank God this video is off site!

fred583

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am currently looking at Dahua NVRs and one of them had this in the spec sheet:

Automatic Network Replenishment (ANR) Technology
Network Video Recorders with the ANR function automatically store video data on an IP camera SD card when the network is disconnected. After recovery of the network, the NVR automatically retrieves the video data stored on the camera.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I am currently looking at Dahua NVRs and one of them had this in the spec sheet:

Automatic Network Replenishment (ANR) Technology
Network Video Recorders with the ANR function automatically store video data on an IP camera SD card when the network is disconnected. After recovery of the network, the NVR automatically retrieves the video data stored on the camera.
That’s probably one of the best security feature ever invented by anyone for a NVR.

What I would like to know from anyone who uses this feature is how granular this is. More specifically will the NVR pick up and back fill missing data based on a time stamp from the camera?

There’s a big difference from a Ethernet cable being separated or a switch going down causing an network outage. Versus the actual NVR shutting down from a power blip / crashed drive.

Anyone who has first hand experience let us know.

fred583

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm puzzled by this feature as well. This feature was on a PoE Dahua model. If there is only the Ethernet cable between the camera and the NVR and the camera relies on this cable for power, how does the network go down so as to prevent the NVR from recording but still supply power to allow the camera to record?

Perhaps in very large and complicated installations, the cable travels through various hardware switches that could become clogged or confused and stop functioning but still somehow continue to provide power to the camera?

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm puzzled by this feature as well. This feature was on a PoE Dahua model. If there is only the Ethernet cable between the camera and the NVR and the camera relies on this cable for power, how does the network go down so as to prevent the NVR from recording but still supply power to allow the camera to record?

Perhaps in very large and complicated installations, the cable travels through various hardware switches that could become clogged or confused and stop functioning but still somehow continue to provide power to the camera?
Yes, that is a great point as to why it’s imperative that the camera(s) be powered by a dedicated POE Switch and backed up via online UPS.

As you have clearly shown if the camera is powered by the NVR. The video data on-board the camera will have the exact same data and gap as the NVR - once restored.

The all too famous phrase of having all yours eggs in one basket is true here.

As noted up above this highlights again the importance of capturing the video data in parallel to other storage devices / services.

Lastly, this is also why high security deployments have multiple cameras watching a target area. Along with the security video system run in independent yet parallel operations.

In my home I run three separate video systems which are physically separated & isolated right down to the power delivery system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk