What model Hikvision Turret to get better motion license plate capture? See PIC

nutshellml

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Morning all... I have a Hikvision/LTS CMIP3042 4mm 4.1mp in my front yard mounted under the eve of 2nd floor (20ft above ground). The distance from the house to curb is approx 40ft. As you can see in the snapshot, I can't catch a clear video/snapshot of a moving vehicle with the plate or even a person to identify them walking. I understand if I'm asking too much for the license plate (the vehicle was only going about 5 mph delivery the paper), but the person doesn't seem too clear. My current settings are Direct-to-Disk with Blue Iris and Image Format 2688x1520 30fps.

I'm planning on adding another camera on the other side of the house, also mounted under the eve (which will be only 10-15' high.

Question:
What Hikvision/LTS camera would you recommend to get better picture of sidewalk/street? Would a 6mm have better quality/clarity of street? Or a higher megapixel turret?

I can deal with the current camera not having that capability, but would like the new camera to have better quality. WITHOUT BREAKING THE $$$ BANK. lol

Any advice is appreciated.

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you are wanting to capture license plates, especially at night, you'll have better luck embedding a camera into your mailbox or a structure out by the road. A straight on shot from road-level will get the best picture of a plate instead of a angled one from a camera off the road. If that's not an option, I'd say something ~12mm with some powerful IR to reach the road.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you have to run high shutter speed, and at night that means the only thing the camera will see is plates and headlights..

your way too far away, even for 12mm.. going to have to get closer

nutshellml

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you are wanting to capture license plates, especially at night, you'll have better luck embedding a camera into your mailbox or a structure out by the road. A straight on shot from road-level will get the best picture of a plate instead of a angled one from a camera off the road. If that's not an option, I'd say something ~12mm with some powerful IR to reach the road.
Thanks.. Probably not realistic, I overthink and just wanted, if there ever was a need, to know a plate number. But again prob not necessary for my application.

Thanks for input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk