What other brand pacakge are Dauha or Hikvision NVR/Camera re-branded?

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
I have several friends approached to me today saying they had problem that someone been putting "white powder" in their mailboxes and tearing up the yard with their vehicles also one of the friend had his car broken in and GPS stolen from it.

They knew about my security camera setup and came to me to ask me which setup to get. I told them that my setup is not a "package-ready-to-install" something that you would get from BestBuy like Swann etc. They want something that they could order from BestBuy or Amazon with support and have me install it and configure it for them. They already know I will not provide support and they need to get it directly from manufacturer if they had issue with it in the future.

So what package should I recommend to them? I am thinking three or four 2MP camera with NVR that can do continuous recording and mark all the motion detect events in the recording itself for later reviewing will be good enough.

I know some of the Swann or QSee package are re-branded Dauhua or Hikivison but I don't know which package or model to recommend to my friend from Amazon or BestBuy.

Can anyone help me out here or point out the package so I can sent it to my friend to have them order it themselves.

Thank you for your feedback!

Bill

Trax95008

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Trendnet uses Hik cams. They have a 4 channel package, but I believe they are 1.2Mp bullets. To get their 3Mp cams will require getting it all separately. And, they have really good support. Especially when you have the direct number to tech support at their Los Angeles headquarters ;)

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
This is rebranded Hikvision: LaView Home Page Security Cameras and Security Systems

Their kits can also be bought on Amazon. Sometimes the price is better on amazon, sometimes its better at the Laview site.

There is also Nelly's security that has folks that can help with designing a system. I believe they use rebranded Hik's and Dahuas. Nelly's Security - The webs top source for New Security Cameras, Analog Surveillance Systems, and High Definition IP Systems. - Nelly's Security

Does this seem like a good kit to recommend to my friends?

Amazon.com : LaView 4 1080P IP Camera Security System, 8 CH 1080P IP PoE NVR w/2TB HDD and 4 2MP Bullet Surveillance Camera : Camera & Photo

Thank you for feedback
Bill

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
No this is not a good deal - you can find LaView cheaper during sales at NewEgg typically. Sometimes 4 camera systems will be on sale and not 6 or 8, so you have to keep a close watch, but this isn't a "spectacular" deal by any means. Even with the HD included it's nothing "great".

Also understand that while a Preboxed kit offers value - it limits you to the same cameras and lens. Video Security is not a "One size fits all" and requires some customization which means proper camera types and lens focus at each location. While I know this is what they want you become responsible somewhat when you make a recommendation and install it, so installing an inferior product may put you in their crosshairs regardless if "they should have known better cause you told them".

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I simply supplied answers to the ops question. He asked about a packaged kit.

Not everyone cares to design a system piece meal.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
I simply supplied answers to the ops question. He asked about a packaged kit.

Not everyone cares to design a system piece meal.
No one said you didn't - but that 4 camera setup is not a good deal, that is the main point above.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
No this is not a good deal - you can find LaView cheaper during sales at NewEgg typically. Sometimes 4 camera systems will be on sale and not 6 or 8, so you have to keep a close watch, but this isn't a "spectacular" deal by any means. Even with the HD included it's nothing "great".

Also understand that while a Preboxed kit offers value - it limits you to the same cameras and lens. Video Security is not a "One size fits all" and requires some customization which means proper camera types and lens focus at each location. While I know this is what they want you become responsible somewhat when you make a recommendation and install it, so installing an inferior product may put you in their crosshairs regardless if "they should have known better cause you told them".
I am aware about the "preboxed" kits. In my home, I put together a security camera setup which I ordered all the parts separately from Aliexpress to fit my needs. When friends ask me about my security video setup, I would explain that it cost more than a "prebox" or system that they see at "Sams Club" and it require some technical knowledge installing and configuring to get peak performance and also there are risk ordering stuff from China at lower cost which I do not want to be responsible for or provide support for.

So they choose to go with the prebox route knowing that I will help them install and configure it for first time then they can always email/call seller for support if they needed further help with it. They don't really care about what brand video security system that they are getting, they wanted a good simple camera setup that can monitor for car door checkers on their driveway / front door and to catch which neighborhood kids trashing their yards. (19 of their neighbors in the area had their yard trashed and car doors opened with stuffs stolen from it including my friends)

They already know that security camera is not going to prevent it from happening again but they wanted to be able to put a face on who did all this and the local police suspected it a local group of high school kids that are always out after hours but have no proof yet to place them at the scene. (It a small town)

Thank you for your feedback and if you have any suggestion on prebox kit that they should check into, please let us know and paste a link to it.

Bill

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
How about this one?

LaView LV-KNT982A42W4 4MP zoom HD 8 Channel NVR PoE IP Security System, with 2pcs 4MP (2688 x 1520p) and 2pcs 2MP (1920 x 1080p) Bullet Camera (No HDD Included) - Newegg.com

two 2MP and two 4MP cameras but no HHD included so it another 100 dollar for a 3TB purple HHD on top of this price.

I was going to suggest my friends to stick with the 2MP camera for a better night vision thou ..

Bill
This is where you really start to get into sticky situations and in my opinion you have to start looking out for peoples best interest.

This system isn't anything special. They advertise "3x zoom" for example like its something amazing. It's a digital zoom and all your doing is enlarging the image/pixels which is something any low end system will even allow. You're also now into a price point where you can get a better system/hardware/specs by piece milling it together. (I understand you don't want to do that - I've heard you loud and clear mult times above), however I could not in good faith send anyone to buy a preboxed system in this price point.

then friends ask me about my security video setup, I would explain that it cost more than a "prebox" or system that they see at "Sams Club" and it require some technical knowledge installing and configuring to get peak performance
This statement is also far from true - you can order Dahua and HIK hardware that is just as simple to plug and play into a POE NVR as a preboxed big box store system. I have shown two examples at the bottom of this post that are better equipment and plug and play just like a breboxed system and require no more "Special setup/tweeking" then a preboxed system" and will be cheaper then the $650 - $750 dollar systems.

This is also one of the main reasons your thread isn't getting any attention here most likely. The majority of this community as well as the people that really understand and use this tech arn't going to send you links to crap pre boxed systems - because they are better than that. I can't look at a preconfigured system and in good faith say "Oh yea, here ya go, this is a solid one" because I see the price and think - yuck, you can do so much better. Their are times where Costco and Samsclub as well as Newegg post some solid deals, but none have any I see at this moment.

Again - I understand your stance, but why not send these people the links to the hardware to order, or order it for them and have them pay you. I've seen your mult posts about "I want to send them to Best Buy or Amazon", but they will get screwed with sub par equipment and the higher the price point of the big box systems the more they are getting screwed. Sure on paper these systems look "great", but they arn't, and if you built your own system you should know this.

Bottom line, if you are passing the $500 price point of a "pre boxed system" you are over paying most likely.

You can build a Dahua system right now on AE with 1 PTZ and 3 bullets with 4 channel POE NVR and 3TB Purple Drive for $610 (seriously sub $700 all in WITH a freaking PTZ)

You can build a private label HIK system with 3 year warranty bought in the USA with 4 2mp Turrets (2.8mm or 4mm lenses or a combo of the 2) a 4 channel POE NVR and a 3TB purple Drive for $689.

But now you'll tell me you need parts - You can get a box of 500' of cable for $40 and you can get all the tools, ends, connectors etc for $25. So add $65 to the above kits - still cheaper then then the $750 kit you linked to after HD and better equipment.

If you are truely hung up on a preboxed system here ya go:
LaView LV-KN988P84A4 Premium IP Surveillance System 8 Channel NVR + 4 x Full HD 1080P Day/Night In/Outdoor Cameras (No HDD Included) - Newegg.com

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/8ch-1080p-nvr-8x4/prod16050413.ip?xid=plp1414-elec:product:1:2

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/qsee-16x8-1080p-8-3mp-bllt-2tb-hdd/prod19020549.ip?xid=plp1414-elec:product:1:1

But you are doing a dis service to your "neighbors and friends" IMO.

Last edited:

jasauders

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I've contacted Nelly's Security before for very specific questions (since I had a solid idea of what I was after), though I think it stands to reason that they would be equally helpful if you contacted them in an effort to stitch together a system. It wouldn't be in a single box like a pre-box'd system, though you could work with them through your preferences and end up with xyz cameras with abc recorder. There'd be a layer of compatibility given Nelly's advisement coupled with the support that they offer (good for your friends/neighbors to call should they run into issues).

So, yeah, it's not as straight forward as going to Best Buy and picking up a box on the shelf with everything you need, and yes it'd still be piecing together a system in some capacity, but it's far more straight forward than the alternative -- buying a-branded cameras from source 1 and b-branded recorders from source 2, etc. I'd feel far more confident about that with their advisement if this particular part acts as a point of concern for you.

I'd advise against limiting your suggestions to a 4 channel setup, though. I started with 2 cameras and felt good about it -- damn good -- but it ballooned from there. I now have 6 permanent cameras in use. I frequently add an indoor PTZ for simple monitoring and even have two 1mpx bullets on the shelf that I've considered putting back in use (simply because they're paid for and useless sitting on the shelf). Reason I think it's important to highlight this quite heavily is if *you* are the one who advises on a 4 channel system, the day they want to add a 5th camera, it won't exactly reflect well on you.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
This is where you really start to get into sticky situations and in my opinion you have to start looking out for peoples best interest.

This system isn't anything special. They advertise "3x zoom" for example like its something amazing. It's a digital zoom and all your doing is enlarging the image/pixels which is something any low end system will even allow. You're also now into a price point where you can get a better system/hardware/specs by piece milling it together. (I understand you don't want to do that - I've heard you loud and clear mult times above), however I could not in good faith send anyone to buy a preboxed system in this price point.

I am looking out for all of my friend's best interest.

When they see a customized system like mine and asked me about it. I was more than happy to explain to how I put it together and what it take to have such a system like mine in their home. Then their next question would be "What about warranty and support?"

Everyone here in this forum knows that buying the best rated system at a deal then one would need to purchase it from AE, warranty and support is almost non-existence and at your own risk. I cannot in good faith tell my friend to go buy their hardware from AE and if something break or went wrong that they will be taken care of. Even I own several Huisun cameras which I think are cool cameras personally and fun to play with but I still will not recommend it to any of my friends.

We in this forum are a very minor unique group compare to the rest of the folks in USA where they wanted to be able to buy something with lifeline attached to it as long they own the products. I am their friend and I do not want to be their lifeline to any of the products they own.

Again - I understand your stance, but why not send these people the links to the hardware to order, or order it for them and have them pay you. I've seen your mult posts about "I want to send them to Best Buy or Amazon", but they will get screwed with sub par equipment and the higher the price point of the big box systems the more they are getting screwed. Sure on paper these systems look "great", but they arn't, and if you built your own system you should know this.

Bottom line, if you are passing the $500 price point of a "pre boxed system" you are over paying most likely.
When I tell them the price and that there are no lifeline attached to it. Of course they don't want it because they aren't unique group like us nor they want to take the time to come here on the forum and read up to learn on it so I wanted what the next best thing would be for them which is to find a supplier that use Dahua or Hikivision hardware but rebranded and offer support with it because I knew those are the hardware to stay with.

I already knew there are suppliers that sell preboxed system using Dahua or Hikivision but what I didn't know was which suppliers or model number that are using the Dahua or Hikivision hardware. I knew some of the Swann models are using Hikivision hardware and some of my friends are using Swann right now which they paid 500-600 ish for. Swann make it easier for them to set up apps on their phone too with their own domain name since they provide DDNS service for free to Swann customers only. (Yes they could set up and use one of the other free DDNS but it will require a customized firmware in a router to use those free DDNS service)

Unfortunately, some of my friends did ignored my advice and they went with the analog system because it cost only 200.00 ish. Since they never experience the digital system before so their analog system looks top of the line to them and they are happy with it too. But wait until they see their "other" friends getting the digital version installed soon and they will probably going to request this decision.

You can build a Dahua system right now on AE with 1 PTZ and 3 bullets with 4 channel POE NVR and 3TB Purple Drive for $610 (seriously sub $700 all in WITH a freaking PTZ)

You can build a private label HIK system with 3 year warranty bought in the USA with 4 2mp Turrets (2.8mm or 4mm lenses or a combo of the 2) a 4 channel POE NVR and a 3TB purple Drive for $689.

But now you'll tell me you need parts - You can get a box of 500' of cable for $40 and you can get all the tools, ends, connectors etc for $25. So add $65 to the above kits - still cheaper then then the $750 kit you linked to after HD and better equipment.
Yes, that the first thing I tell them when they are looking at my system. But once they learned that there may be no support attached to it at the price a custom setup costs, they would generally ask "Is there something I can get from Amazon or BestBuy a little cheaper instead?"

I am a field technician for one of the big company in USA that provides and install video phone / conference services to the public, which is why my friends and families come to me when they want to install a security system or cameras in their home knowing I can install it in a breeze for them for a couple of bucks, a large pizza and Dr Pepper.

I work for the company seven years now and I have all the tools you can image in my truck. :)

I am not hung on them and I am only telling them their "second" best option if they don't want to go with the custom or AE route.

Thank you for the information and links, I will pass it on to them.

Bill