What to do with extra HDD when upgrading storage

cam26

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I need to bump my video drive storage from 4tb to 8tb with a new WD Purple drive. However, the 4tb still works just fine and I don’t exactly want to just throw it aside and not use it. Any way I can incorporate the 4tb into my BI system after installing the 8tb?

PC is an HP Prodesk 600 G1

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If there isn't a slot for it but you have an optical drive in there, then unplug the optical drive and slap the other HDD in there and tape or velcro it to the computer since there probably isn't a bay for it.

Many of us have done this. And then split the cameras over the two drives. So if you have 8 cameras and are two on each side of the house, put one camera from each side of the house on one drive and the other 4 on the other drive so that if one goes out, you still have some coverage around all of the house.

cam26

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If there isn't a slot for it but you have an optical drive in there, then unplug the optical drive and slap the other HDD in there and tape or velcro it to the computer since there probably isn't a bay for it.

Many of us have done this. And then split the cameras over the two drives. So if you have 8 cameras and are two on each side of the house, put one camera from each side of the house on one drive and the other 4 on the other drive so that if one goes out, you still have some coverage around all of the house.
Good idea. Will writing to two drives increased CPU usage?

also, will I need some type of connector for the optical bay HDD, or does the optical bay use the same was the HDD?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not really and depending on the camera load may actually decrease CPU as it isn't having to buffer trying to get to one drive.