What UPS? Rack mount vs tower?

erick85

n3wb
Reaction score
What UPS does everyone like? In my searching here, I see mostly APC and CyberPower recommended, with what seems like more issues reported with CyberPower. Basically, is there a reason to go for a rack mounted UPS vs a free standing model, especially when an equivalent rack mount model is $150-$200 more?

Here are the models I've looked at:

APC SMC1500C

APC SMC1500C Rack Mount

APC BR1500MS2

I have an HP EliteDesk 800 G2 SFF i7-6700, Zyxel 24 port POE switch (model GS1900-24HP) and plan to run 12-15 cameras to start. I also plan to run another switch for other devices, not camera related. Based on that, would any of the models above be sufficient? Are they overkill? Would 2 of the BR1500MS2 be better? Is there a better option out there that I've missed or not come across yet?

Thanks in advance.

Erick

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
Doing IT work the rack mount looks more professional at a customer site. Especially when there is no room to sit one on the floor.
For personal, It's not worth the price vs the look. If you might want to add more batteries to your UPS, it's easier if they are on the floor.

I run an APC 1500 with 2 HP PC's, a PFsense box, all of my switches and fiber converters on it. I added more batteries for more reserve time.
I have a second UPS for my entertainment center that catches my monitors, my Ubuntu PC's and other misc junk.

NickTheGreat

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
At the least, you should choose a UPS with Automatic Voltage Regulation (AVR) capabilities. The 3 you listed meet this criteria. I tend to chose the units that also offer pure sine wave output (on battery). The initial need for the UPS might not require pure sine wave, but the UPS will provide greater versatility with the more delicate electronics when needed. Typically, the pure sine wave feature incurs a higher price tag :confused:

As for two UPS vs one... I go through the same thought process when purchasing PoE switches. You get one big switch (or UPS) and you'll have one piece of hardware for everything. When the one piece fails, everything connected stops working. It becomes a balance of redundancy, cost, visual aesthetics & available space. Keep in mind the cost of future battery replacement, also.