what video card?

slowmod

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
current system: win7 pro, i7-2700, integrated intel hd 3000, 16GB RAM, 256GB intel ssd for O/S and DB. (2) 2TB Seagate sata3's divided between 13 2mp cameras. BI- 4.2.6.7

currently the system runs around 45% processor usage spiking to 50% with the live view minimized.

With live view full screen displaying all 13 cameras it is averaging high 80% and spiking to 95% when more than 2 cameras sense motion. if it holds there for 10 seconds BI tools restarts the program.

so im thinking I need a dedicated video card? I see a lot of talk about NVidia cards, but no specific model info. I do have a pcie x16 slot on the board.

any suggestions?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Before considering a video card (which may or may not help very much), you should try to optimize other aspects of Blue Iris. Use direct to disk recording on all your cameras, and try updating to the latest version and enabling Intel hardware accelerated decoding (note there is a bug preventing hardware acceleration from working with Blue Iris in service mode in Windows 7). It can also help to reduce camera frame rates (in the camera web interfaces, NOT in Blue Iris) if you have them higher than about 15 FPS because there isn't much good gained from higher FPS but it still takes CPU time. Lastly, in Blue Iris you can set a live preview frame rate limit which can make a huge difference.

I recently bought an Nvidia GTX 950 for my Blue Iris box because it was the cheapest card that has HDMI 2.0, and it is from the current latest generation of cards so it has the latest technology and is likely to have a longer useful life. Unfortunately it is a $150 card and requires extra power from the power supply... something which some cheap computers might not have available. You probably don't need HDMI 2.0 anyway since it is only useful for recent 4K televisions. So you could buy a cheaper card like a GTX 720 which is a low end card from the previous generation: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MWMBF3A

Nvidia is the recommendation (instead of AMD) because Nvidia cards are more likely to be supported in the future for hardware acceleration by Blue Iris. Just make sure that if you do buy a card, you buy a fairly recent model like the one linked above because after a few years the manufacturers stop releasing new drivers for older models.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

slowmod

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
got it- dropped live view to 10fps. holds 50-60% now full screen. short of being on the most current version the rest was already done, except service mode- I don't use it, let bi tools handle that since this is live view system and I am not at the site.
Thanks!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
With the latest version after you enable hardware accelerated decoding, CPU usage should go down a lot more, and power consumption along with it.