What video encoding codec, bitrate etc

TaGosa

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have 4231EM-AS, but these ques should apply to all.

What video encoding settings do you use
- Codec (H.264/H.265)
- CBR/VBR
- What quality (if VBR) 1 - 5?
- Frame rate (25? or down it to 15fps)?
- Bitrate (CBR=4mbps) (VBR=4mbps max)?
- Do you disable substreams (why do I need it?)

I am just starting, so trying to understand. I have 4TB disc, and trying to optimize storage without sacrificing quality too much. I am thinking of this
- Codec (H.264/H.265)
- VBR
- What quality 4?
- Frame rate (15fps)
- Bitrate VBR=4mbps max (What if I downgrade to 3 or even 2mbps). I will set and play how it looks, but looking for experienced opinion.
- Disable substream. (Why do I need it)?

Thanks

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I use 10 fps, CBR, H.265, and close to or at the highest bitrate the camera will allow with the other settings. I have substreams enabled for use with live view on my pc. I generally have 4 cameras displayed on the live view, and if I display the main stream it totally saturates the cpu. My purpose is after-the-fact analysis of anything suspicious that has happened, which is why image quality is more important than frame rate. Bet you get answers "all over the map".

TaGosa

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
c hris527, thanks for pointer. Those are excellent guides. They answer couple of answers very well. e.g. 50% (approx) system record at 10fps. Also they one of the guide mentioned I frame rate. I will set those per recommendations.

tigerwillow, thanks for info. I will also enable the substream. It is good point about display on devices. Probably use substream for continuous recording, and high for motion detection.