What would crisp up this image?

International784

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Good morning,

Both of these images were taken from a static fuel truck. One image is from the cameras SD card and the other is from BI itself. The more crisp image is from the camera SD. I did zoom in a little more in BI. Should I change the bitrate, fps, or leave well enough alone?

Attachments

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
It looks like I can see a reflection, so I am guessing it is a picture of a screen. I would suggest posting the actual images from the SD card/BI. There is a severe netting effect on the images due to taking a picture of the screen they were displayed on which makes it difficult to speak to the quality difference between them.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would leave well enough alone LOL.

Some people simply have more sensitive eyes and have said the SD card is a better image than in BI.

Maybe it is maybe it isn't.

But one could argue that the quality could be better when contained within the camera.

Personally I haven't seen the difference.

And once you zoomed a little, it all goes out the window in comparison.

The best thing to do is take a snapshot from the snapshot icon in the camera gui and a snapshot from BI and then without leading someone, show them the two images and ask which one looks better.

International784

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here are two from the actual camera and BI. negligible. But, I’m trying to read plates during the day with my ptz lol. One is a couple of seconds later because BI stuttered a bit. The jeep in the second picture is off against the truck in passing.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The one with the jeep missing is probably blurry simply to the fact it appears to be zooming in at that point or had just zoomed in and was adjusting the focus.

One of the many reasons why we say you may get by with a PTZ for plates, but there are way more variables like constant focus changes, etc. that are not happening in a fixed lens camera.

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The one with the jeep missing is probably blurry simply to the fact it appears to be zooming in at that point or had just zoomed in and was adjusting the focus.

One of the many reasons why we say you may get by with a PTZ for plates, but there are way more variables like constant focus changes, etc. that are not happening in a fixed lens camera.
Yeah, the first pic is much better, second pic looks blurry almost like when we try digital zoom. lol

International784

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I know Wittaj is right. However, the truck was stopped and you just can see the back of the jeep in front of the fuel truck. There’s not over 2 seconds difference. The camera had zoomed and focused at that particular point and was only recording. Immediately after the truck moved, the ptz returned to preset. At no point in BI can I see what I’m seeing clarity wise on the ptz SD.

International784

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I guess what I’m chasing is that during a live view in blue Iris, the video is as crystal clear as my SD card. I can read the plates just as well. I just can’t or don’t know or understand how to playback that level of clarity. BI is definitely capable of displaying it.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
There are many distance variables for focus. the tanker is a sphere in back with objects attached at different distances. how the the heck can the camera decide on which image is the important one? I think the one with the jeep is fine. considering not all the objects can be in focus given the various distances. heres my example. (5442 z4 )
If the jeep were in sharp Focus then the back of the tanker would be out of focus.
1685041523197.png

1685041615395.png

Last edited:

International784

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
100% agree and understand. I can call out plate numbers in live view of BI all day long. In playback, they’re not as clear and sometimes can’t read numbers at all. Whereas in playback from an SD (or live in BI) everything is crystal clear.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The second screenshot (the blurry one) is not a snapshot taken natively from Blue Iris. That is a screen capture on a mobile device. We don't know where you got that image from so we can't say what is wrong but chances are whatever you're using to view the video has the quality set too low.

International784

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The second screenshot (the blurry one) is not a snapshot taken natively from Blue Iris. That is a screen capture on a mobile device. We don't know where you got that image from so we can't say what is wrong but chances are whatever you're using to view the video has the quality set too low.
You’re right I suppose. I sent the image from BI to my desktop to my email and screenshot it with my phone. I did just drop the sub stream and now the quality is clear as the SD on playback as in I can’t tell the difference. My next step was trying to get a clip sent to my laptop for viewing to see if it was the other computer getting bogged down.