Whats the simpliest or easiest way to have a 20m CCTV LCD Monitor in house?

Johnman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I supposed there are a few ways to do this

I have a NVR PC in a bedroom in the far end of the house and I want a CCTV LCD Monitor in the kitchen pantry with all cameras on so we can quickly check it from time to time

The pantry where I want the LCD monitor has 2 ethernet wall plate ports and power

The bedroom where I want the NVR PC has one ethernet port ( which is already in use for network connectivity for the NVR PC)

I recently got this device to accomplish this:
1586903558509.png

option 1
After working it out how to install. I realised Ill need to ad another ethernet port in the bedroom which will be a pain but doable and probably better for the long run after its done. The ethernet cable for the above HDMI over cat6 adapters needs to be a dedicated point to point link. Not connected to a switch or router.
so thats option one. Involves me getting hands dirty again in the room space and installing another ethernet cable

option 2:
Buy a Raspberry Pi and set up windows on it or something that can RDP into the NVR PC

option 3
Use my really really old laptop to do option 2 ( just RDP into the NVR PC) This would increase bulk in the small pantry space though

Not even sure if its possible :
option 4
Use a spare Dahua NVR () which I am not using to RDP or remote into the PC
Probably not possible but I havent looked at it

Let me know your thoughts or if you have additional solutions

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
another just random idea would be to use a roku on a small tv and the IPCamera Viewer app? iirc, can't you configure multiple screens on the $5 pro version.

Johnman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
another just random idea would be to use a roku on a small tv and the IPCamera Viewer app? iirc, can't you configure multiple screens on the $5 pro version.
Yeh

You know what. I am totally over thinking this . I have an old laptop and will just use that to RDP. I have tested RDPing into the PC with BI running and the CPU is around 30%

I think using a laptop or maybe eventually get a cheap Rasp pi 4 will be more versatile due to having USB ports for mouse and keyboard

I think the latest Raspberry Pi 4 is more powerful then my old laptop haha

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
no need to rdp. Just hit the built-in UI3 web page. Look on your BI Settings tab, go to Web Server tab to see the address. mine is Log in and tadaa!

I think I've been guilty of overthinking it before too. Many ppl have an old laptop or tablet laying around that can run a web browser. Heck, a lot of people have extra TVs even.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
I have an small, older PC in my kitchen (on the first floor) to view cams from my NVR that is located on the 2nd floor.

I use a WiFi router to:
a) connect the wired cams to the NVR (to keep cams off my main network of PCs, TV, Stereo, printer, etc).
b) provide WiFi so I can connect the above small PC, and my cell phone when home.

Using SmartPSS, the small PC displays 6 cams, with images coming via WiFi from the NVR.

Granted, this is NOT the NVR's native interface, to display the cams. It's PSS.

No "HDMI over Ethernet" widget needed.

For your big display, a benefit of using a PC might be that instead of a view of cams, you could display pictures/artwork.

Have fun. Overthinking is half the fun!

Fastb

Johnman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
no need to rdp. Just hit the built-in UI3 web page. Look on your BI Settings tab, go to Web Server tab to see the address. mine is Log in and tadaa!

I think I've been guilty of overthinking it before too. Many ppl have an old laptop or tablet laying around that can run a web browser. Heck, a lot of people have extra TVs even.
Yeh that was my original idea. Might be able to do that ill see how the CPU runs with the old laptop and on the NVR PC

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Let me know your thoughts or if you have additional solutions
I went through all that a couple years ago but now just purchased multiple FireTV's of different sizes depending where they are placed, load Chrome on them and load the UI3 on them. Run them 24/7 generally and it works great for me. The most simple solution. I have two of the FireTV's running wirelessly and hardwired the 3rd one. All three work the same, I thought the hard wired one would have been maybe better somehow but the wireless ones work great too. All you need is AC power to get them going with UI3 on them.

edit: I think one of mine is actually just a 4K FireStick on an old LED TV actually - either way works great

Last edited: