Where is i5 4590 vs i7 4790 Tipping Point?

essjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I see a lot of recommendations on this forum in relation to the 4th generation i5 4590's and their suitability to Blue Iris.

But the question I have is: what is the crossover point from the 4590 and the 4790 (i7)? At what point should I stop looking at the 4590 and start looking at the 4790 (or above, perhaps the 6700 which I was considering building)?

In my personal case my setup is very much in it's infancy but the projected build could include 8 - 10 x 3MP's or even some of the 5MP's now coming out (50% motion detected recording, 50% continuous). While I'm sure the 4590 could handle that where would the efficiency tipping point be (I'm guessing the 4790 would pull a bigger load more efficiently than a 4590 would)?

Secondly, do the 6th generation i7 (6700) graphics have any major benefits over the 4th (4590 and 4790)?

And a non-CPU question. Any reason not to run Windows Server 2012 R2?

fbnoise

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm a noob that doesn't split hairs (coincidentally just lost my eyebrows to a grilling mishap Memorial Day weekend - I'm okay and I didn't burn any of my skin. Wife actually says it looks cool to her and nobody else probably notices).

Anyways, there are a lot of factors on that crossover question, so it's hard to answer. Motion detection, direct to disk recording vs. other formats (look into direct to disk regardless of which processor you get), lots of variables. If it were me, 8 cameras and some possible 5MP (I have a couple of those along with a handful of 3MP which I run motion detect + continuous at 100% quality), I'd go with an i7. Do direct to disk, turn on hardware acceleration, look on the forum about recommendations as to what value to set the IFrame.. There are some other recommendations around here that'll be helpful as well.

I don't suspect any graphics improvements from i7 gen 4-6 would be worth factoring in your equation.