Where to buy?

fr33py

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok so I've been looking at installing security cameras in a new home my wife and I just purchased and moved into a week ago. I've been researching and research as much info as I can on what to buy. I have 6 pre camera pre wires around my home (Siamese Twin and Eternet). Every time I think I'm about to pull the trigger and order something I read something else here that makes me think twice and I research more. I'm currently leaning towards the Hikvision Turret cameras. I was thinking about 3 each of the 4mp 2.8mm/4mm cameras and then purchasing a PC that meets the requirements for running Blue Iris as it seems be the ideal way to go as opposed to an NVR.

The problem I am having is finding the best place to order these cameras? I look on Amazon but then read here that you should be wary of buying on Amazon due to the various problems with firmware and getting chinese versions of the cameras. I checked Nelly's but they don't seem to carry the 4mm versions.

The following link on Amazon shows a few sellers but no idea if its a good idea to purchase from any these guys.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01A6NN4ZI/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all

The below image shows one seller who has the 2.8mm versions and claims to have US Red-White boxes - full English versions with upgradeable firmware and a 2 year warranty

NetView.jpg

If someone has a more reliable place to purchase hikvision cameras that would be great. Appreciate any assistance given.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've gone the Amazon route. Have five of the 2342 turrets up and running, all came with WR serial codes and I haven't had any issues. I purchased from SafeGuard Designs so I know the def use the English versions but I don't see them listed currently. I also paid a lot less ($114 and $128) at different times so I plan on ordering the next two from LTS on Friday.

Also, just my recommendation, stay away from the 2.8mm lenses, they are garbage. 4mm is much better and you don't lose much as far as field of view. Yes you will lose some but not enough IMO to justify the crappy picture the 2.8 provides.

LaurentR

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What is your negative experience exactly on the 2.8mm? I have two 2342 2.8mm stuck in the corner of two rooms and they are tack sharp and offer great coverage for indoor.

I also have a 2342 4mm outdoor and it is also tack sharp.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
2.8mm for outdoor and wide open spaces is too wide. The night-vision is shocking (for wide open areas!) and generally the thing you want to record is too far away to get decent images. Sure you'll be able to see what they are doing and it will look pretty and this is why most noobs and a lot of installers install 2.8mm but if something happens and you can't identify the person... well...

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
There are places for a 2.8mm outside, but most of the time you need double coverage for that.

My only 2.8mm camera outside is at the door (which is already covered by a 4mm camera higher up.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What is your negative experience exactly on the 2.8mm? I have two 2342 2.8mm stuck in the corner of two rooms and they are tack sharp and offer great coverage for indoor.

I also have a 2342 4mm outdoor and it is also tack sharp.
Picture quality is horrible with regards to facial features and identification. Mine are outside and there's a noticeable decrease in quality in daytime vs 4mm. Night time it's even more pronounced. I've even added external IR and it still sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DuncanMcDonuts

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Are 2.8mm lenses good enough for doors at least? I was thinking about putting them on the front and back door.