Which camera would be better?

Rusty Ross

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I know I’ve been told many times to upgrade my system to ip cameras and a NVR but I’m not looking to do that right now. I have an off the shelf Lorex DVR system from Best Buy I’d like to get a better camera (single)

between these two which would be better?

This is what I have currently:

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Full disclosure, I have no idea what I am talking about.

I am guessing most who comment will say the Dahua because it is on a 1/2" sensor, however, they will make note of an 8MP camera being on a 1/2.7 or 1/2 sensor is not the correct combination and neither will be ideal for low light situations.

Webfont

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am guessing most who comment will say the Dahua because it is on a 1/2" sensor, however, they will make note of an 8MP camera being on a 1/2.7 or 1/2 sensor is not the correct combination and neither will be ideal for low light situations.
I think I read somewhere that each 'step' in sensor size is a doubling of required light.

8MP on 1/2.7 needs 2x the light of 8MP on 1/1.8
8MP on 1/1.8 needs 2x the light of 8MP on 1/1.2

So, 8MP on 1/2.7 needs 4x the light of the 'correct' 8MP on 1/1.2 to produce the same night image.

As you noted, from OP's post, the one on the 1/2 sensor would be the 'better choice', even if not the 'best choice'.

OP, what's the reason for the upgrade? Better night image? In that case try to buy a camera on the 'correct' sensor size mapping.
Look at the chart at the end of this post and get a camera that's in the green section;

Rusty Ross

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think I read somewhere that each 'step' in sensor size is a doubling of required light.

8MP on 1/2.7 needs 2x the light of 8MP on 1/1.8
8MP on 1/1.8 needs 2x the light of 8MP on 1/1.2

So, 8MP on 1/2.7 needs 4x the light of the 'correct' 8MP on 1/1.2 to produce the same night image.

As you noted, from OP's post, the one on the 1/2 sensor would be the 'better choice', even if not the 'best choice'.

OP, what's the reason for the upgrade? Better night image? In that case try to buy a camera on the 'correct' sensor size mapping.
Look at the chart at the end of this post and get a camera that's in the green section;
yes I am wanting to upgrade a camera that I have with low light. Had I known I shot myself in the foot by using BNC cameras I wouldn’t have to try and find an upgraded camera.

Webfont

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Maybe try to step down to 4MP on 1/1.8 sensors if you can in those locations (check your DORI numbers and make sure to pick a cam with the right focal length to have enough pixels)

Rusty Ross

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Based on another post I found I went ahead and ordered one of these. Guess we’ll see how it works out for me

Webfont

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
2MP on 1/2.8 is in the green box, it'll give you a better night image.
Just make sure the focal length matches your installation location as you have less pixels now so your cam should be closer to the subject or have a bigger focal length to capture proper identification pictures.

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Based on another post I found I went ahead and ordered one of these. Guess we’ll see how it works out for me
From where did you order it? One of the member on this forum, @EMPIRETECANDY, is a dealer. His Amazon store has some decent prices on cameras. Andy may also have some refurbished cameras available. There's a list in the link below. There's also info on how to contact Andy if you want to order one off the list. I've ordered a couple of refurbs from him before. They look like they may have been returns that had never been opened. I believe Andy's firmware is an upgraded version of the OEM firmware and is better maintained.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Rusty Ross

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't think Andy sells HDCVI cams, which is what the OP needs for his non IP based setup.
Yes I’ve contacted Andy in the past and he has told me several times analog is on its way out! I actually bought my first setup from him at my old house but ultimately left them when I sold

Rusty Ross

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can book anything if you are not need hurry, analog tech is going end of life, we not do it a lot.
Andy, I noticed these in your store

What else is required to switch to ip cameras? Just the camera itself and a NVR? Might be something I can look into since the biggest issue of me going to ip is the cable run. Not that I can’t do it or terminate the ends, more so I just had my attic sprayed with 21” of insulation and I’m not a tiny rat lol. Thought about just tying onto the coax and pulling the cat 6 wire but if I hit a snag then I’m done :(

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Andy, I noticed these in your store

What else is required to switch to ip cameras? Just the camera itself and a NVR? Might be something I can look into since the biggest issue of me going to ip is the cable run. Not that I can’t do it or terminate the ends, more so I just had my attic sprayed with 21” of insulation and I’m not a tiny rat lol. Thought about just tying onto the coax and pulling the cat 6 wire but if I hit a snag then I’m done :(
Cameras
Ethernet
NVR or PC
POE switch, depending on setup.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Currently we sell this one as kit, no plan to sell on pcb board. Very stable and useful thing. :D