Which Dahua NVR for PC-HDW5231R-Z Cameras?

bundy

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi folks,

After wasting around 8 hours trying to sort out why my QNAP / Surveillance station won't work properly with Motion detection I am about to throw in the Towel and unless a fix pops out of somewhere I am seriously considering investing in Dahua NVR to team up with the PC-HDW5231R-Z cameras I have. From what I read it is best to pair up the NVR to the Camera manufacturer (Unless runnign BLue Iris and for me I dont have a spare PC laying around at the moment)

So being I also don't have a PoE Switch (Only have a POE Injector) and also that I only currently have 2 x Cameras (and little chance of expanding) what Model NVR would the good people on here recommend?

Other than Number of Ports that these NVR's can accommodate is there any difference in functionality in regards to the Software these units run?

Appreciate your thoughts

Cheers

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I got this one (without the POE because it's cheaper and quieter and I knew I would want a couple POE switches at different locations so I didn't have to run each camera back to a single location)

Dahua NVR 5216-16P-4KS2

Paid $260 shipped from @EMPIRETECANDY (again... For the non poe version NVR5216-4KS2)

Depending on the price difference, you might want to look at getting one with 2 hdd slots. With only two cameras one hdd will be big enough I'm sure for hold a few weeks of video, but a backup slot is nice. Or hell just throw 2 hdd in it and keep a months or more worth of video.

According to @nayr review... The software of the pro grade that he reviewed is faster than the lighter models, but I've only ever had this one so I can't comment on it too much other than I like it.

Last edited:

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
:goodpost: I also have and install this model, But not sure if the member wanted this power ;) Good choice by you, my friend

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Initial Impressions: I'm directly comparing this to my experience w/a 4216-4K.. I have 10 Channels of 2MP-4MP cameras on H264 & H265 connected via external PoE, I will not be using any of the internal PoE ports on this.
  • Built in Power Supply and Chassis Fan (Not Silent)
  • Much Faster Response time searching recordings w/Dahua Clients
  • Much Snappier interfaces, responds very well compared to the lite model

bundy

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks all for the input so far, its of great help to me. Looking at the Nahua models would you agree I should look at either one of the 4 units from Andy at Empire Tech?

NVR4104-P-4KS2 ($142 USD) OR NVR4108-P-4KS2 ($151 USD)

OR

NVR4108-8P-4KS2 ($165 USD) OR NVR4116-8P-4KS2 ($190 USD) (not currently listed by Andy but he has them in stock he tells me)

Now correct me if I am wrong but other than price the top 2 models and the bottom 2 models seem to be pretty much the same except for the number of PoE ports (top 2 have 4 bottom 2 have 8
and then the number of Channels available (4 / 8 or 16 depending on the unit)

Am I missing something else here? Functionality or otherwise?

Being I only have 2 Cameras in my mind either of the top 2 units suffice for me, but if there is something else I should consider please chime in

Thanks

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
pretty much the same except for the number of PoE ports (top 2 have 4 bottom 2 have 8
and then the number of Channels available (4 / 8 or 16 depending on the unit)
Sounds like your confused....the 8 Channel nvr can record 8 cameras max. The POE version has 8 ports to accommodate this. The 16 Channel nvr can record 16 cameras max and has 16 poe ports to accommodate this.

With or without POE, You cannot record 9+ cameras on an 8 channel NVR.

bundy

n3wb
Reaction score
Sounds like your confused....the 8 Channel nvr can record 8 cameras max. The POE version has 8 ports to accommodate this. The 16 Channel nvr can record 16 cameras max and has 16 poe ports to accommodate this.

With or without POE, You cannot record 9+ cameras on an 8 channel NVR.
Hi David, Thanks but I understand that 4/8/16 Channels indicate max number of Cams and is independent of the number of PoE ports. I have only 2 Cameras so I am not sure why recommendations of the 8 or 16 port models have come in rather than the smaller 4 Channel (and cheaper) model.

Is there a difference in software / performance compared to that cheaper 4 Channel model that I may not be aware of?

Thanks again

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I would assume yes, there is a difference between their Lite, pro and ultra series. Probably better hardware and maybe better /faster software?

And with 2 cameras you are dangerously close to maxing out a 4 channel NVR. if your absolutely certain you'll NEVER have more than 2 cameras, then sure, save the money I guess. I'd rather upgrade to at least an 8 channel though if I were you....just so if at some point in the future you want a 5th camera (not necessarily a $170 starlight varifocal... But hell maybe a $35 ONVIF camera to watch something stupid like a garage door, or a pet or a fancy baby monitor) then you'll be able to do that without having to upgrade your nvr.

Also, since you want IVS events to work, I would double/triple check that whatever nvr you get will work with them. I thought I remember that some of the cheaper ones do not. The N42B1P lists it in the specs on the link I put a few posts up, but it wouldn't hurt to check with @EMPIRETECANDY before purchasing.