Which lens on 2332?

Scooby7274

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Going to get two 2332 cameras, but Im not sure on a lens size. I was thinking 2.8,then I saw a few screen shots of a 4mm,so it got me wondering.

First camera with be mounted in a corner that will cover the side entrance from the car port. Distance from the camera to the door would be 5-10ft to the right of the mounting area. The cars are parked around 20ft on the driveway, so having the ability to monitor the door and cars would be nice. Looking at a 90 degree angle from the camera mounting point to the door and driveway.

Second camera will also be mounted in a covered corner that will monitor the front door and front yard. Mounting area will be 3-5 ft from the front door. Door is directly to the right of the mounting area. Would like to be able to monitor the front door and front yard. Got kids who like to remove things for fun from the front yard. Front yard is approx. 30-50ft,left to right.

So do I go with a 2.8 and a wider view or a 4mm with a narrow view, but more of a close up.? Let me know what you think. Going to order in a few days. Thanks

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The wider the field of view, the lower the pixel density. To ID someone you not only need a clear shot of their face, but their face should be 85 pixels tall or better. With these cameras, the 2.8mm in 3MP mode is good for maybe 15', the 4mm is good for about 25'. So a trade off between seeing more but less detail. IPVM has a cool lens calculator that shows a persons face at different distances with different lenses. It's here - http://ipvm.com/calculator

Keep in mind that M12 lenses used in cameras gives different results in different cameras. For example, the 3332 2.8mm has a different field of view and pixel density than a 2732 2.8mm, so take the results above with a grain of salt as they are generalities, but a pretty good perspective when choosing lenses.

For what it's worth, just put a 25mm lens in a 3332 to use for detecting license plates at 35-40' that is just not possible with the 12mm lens in a 2732.