Who here uses CBR and why?

What bit rate type do you use and why?

• CBR

• VBR

Results are only viewable after voting.

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm curious, who here uses CBR and why..

I have always just left my NVR on CBR as it was the default. Until recently when I had to setup a camera without NVR just onboard flash media for recording. This led me to do some reading, I found a good majority of people recommend VBR with no complaints of video quality suffering.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I use CBR, got used to doing so with tightly focused LPR cameras at 120ft where I have found VBR to react too slowly. I also run high Kbps bitrate 8192-10,400

I'm sure many will believe that's caveman talk, but my video quality speaks for itself and I don't care about storage.

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I started out setting all my cams to VBR (2MP and 4MP). I saved a ton of memory for longer retention time. I have found that for what ever reason the 4MP cams (Dahua) were showing some slow resolution degradation on about a 12 sec cycle. I changed all the 4MP cams to CBR and at 8KB bit stream and it definately helped. So now run the 2 MP on VBR (max resolution) and 4MP on CBR.

Reaction score
I use CBR, got used to doing so with tightly focused LPR cameras at 120ft where I have found VBR to react too slowly. I also run high Kbps bitrate 8192-10,400

I'm sure many will believe that's caveman talk, but my video quality speaks for itself and I don't care about storage.
Same here. CBR seems to give somewhat better results in my LPR cameras at night, where the image may go from totally dark to a brightly illuminated license plate with headlights in a fraction of a second. For my other cameras, I use VBR.