Why do all Dahua camera IPs default to 192.168.1.XXX?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you have multiple devices all connected at once set with the same ip address eg. 192.168.1.108 that will cause problems too. Connect them one at a time and change the settings.

Last edited:

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I Googled how to switch the computer IP and then found the .1.108 IP and switched them to 0.xx one at a time and it was simpler than I thought. Thanks for the tips.
I have 4 new cameras so just upped the IP by 1 each time. Is there any reason not to do that or reason I would need to space it out or choose DHCP instead or does it not really matter what IP I select? If I ever somehow picked one that was already in use, would it not work or would the computer let me know there was a conflict by indicating some sort of error?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can change settings on your router so the DHCP server can't use the whole subnet. For example maybe you only want the DHCP server to hand out addresses from 192.168.1.2-100

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
I used to set up by changing the ip on my computer then switching back after I get camera configured. Now since i am doing this daily for other folks around here, I just take an old router that is already set at 192.168,1,1 and LAN set to 192.168.1.x for a speedy first time camera configuration and just plug the camera into it. I use laptop that connect to the router via wifi.

adamg

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
IMO, Dahua made a mistake in deciding to default their cameras to one static address. It makes it very nearly impossible to install a bunch of new cameras, bring them all online at the same time, and then configure them with production IP settings. They have to be brought onto a network one at a time.

Pelco, for instance, defaults their cameras to DHCP, and if they can't find a server they eventually timeout to one default static address. This is a better and more versatile system.

Earlier in this thread someone mentioned a software that finds Dahua cameras on the network. I know of software like that for Pelco and Hikvision. Can someone point me to it for Dahua?

biscuit

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
IMO, Dahua made a mistake in deciding to default their cameras to one static address. It makes it very nearly impossible to install a bunch of new cameras, bring them all online at the same time, and then configure them with production IP settings. They have to be brought onto a network one at a time.

Pelco, for instance, defaults their cameras to DHCP, and if they can't find a server they eventually timeout to one default static address. This is a better and more versatile system.

Earlier in this thread someone mentioned a software that finds Dahua cameras on the network. I know of software like that for Pelco and Hikvision. Can someone point me to it for Dahua?
ConfigTool v4.0

But, i have a tester from dahua and config each camera before installation...

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

adamg

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks. I had ConfigTool 4.03. Being _completely_ unbranded software, I didn't even know it was for Dahua. And it was not working at all. It was not finding cameras I was viewing at the same time in my web browser. That was version 4.03. I downloaded 4.05, and it finds cameras.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So V 4.05 will find new Dahua cameras on .1.xx when your computer is still on .0.xx?

biscuit

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So V 4.05 will find new Dahua cameras on .1.xx when your computer is still on .0.xx?
Jep,

It will look through the subnet not specific ip-address or range.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've found Pale Moon to be my goto browser working on Dahua equipment nowadays. Seems to have very few problems. Thanks to whomever it was here on IPCT for suggesting it ;)
I installed the PaleMoon browser but still no video feed showing.
It prompted me to download webplugin.exe from the camera's IP.
I installed that and restarted the browser but still no camera feed showing...just keeps prompting to download and install again.
Are there some settings I need to change in Pale Moon?

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
,,,figured it out. I installed the x64 newest version which apparently does NOT work.
Installed the x86 version and that works.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
,,,figured it out. I installed the x64 newest version which apparently does NOT work.
Installed the x86 version and that works.
x64 requires x64 plugins. almost all of the plugins are x86, to you must use x86 palemoon