Why does my Blue Iris computer shut down from time to time?

wondering

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a 2016-built system running about two dozen Hikvision cameras, and it keeps shutting down. The rough system spec is Blue Iris 4, Windows 10 Professional, and a Dell Optiplex with boot SSD, 16GB RAM, and an 8TB NAS hard drive for storage. Direct-to-disk recording is turned on, and nothing fancy is set up as far as alerts, server, or users is concerned. This system has run mostly reliably 24/7 for almost four years.

The problem is this computer shuts down from time to time. It seems to be at night. Where do I even begin troubleshooting this? The system is not connected to a UPS, and the power is not going out in the facility. All power settings were what I thought to be set right, though I did just now disable hybrid sleep. Could that be it? Checking the event viewer, the events before and after the shutdown are as follows. Or...wait...it looks like a sleep. So maybe it's the hybrid sleep after all?

Information​
3/17/20 3:20​
Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power​
42​
-64​
The system is entering sleep.

Sleep Reason: Application API​
The next event is as follows:

Information​
3/17/20 3:20​
Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power​
107​
-102​
The system has resumed from sleep.​
Where do I even begin troubleshooting this? Should I post (or perhaps attach) more of the log?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you sure the power is not going out, even briefly.

A UPS is always a good idea.
Another thing, check that the fans are clean and all of them are running in the BI pc.
Especailly make sure the heatsink on the CPU is clean.