Why does my night time illumination vary so much?

agarb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have two cameras (EmpireTech 4MP 2.7mm-12mm turret) mounted on either side of my front door where their fields of view cross each other.

Here are 2 sets of images takes about 30 minutes apart. I am trying to figure out why the first set of images are so dark as compared to the second. It is almost as if the IR is not on or running at reduced power.

1694450742082.png

1694450768584.png

It also happened this morning, 45 minutes apart.

1694450785563.png

1694450799134.png

I’m not sure if this is a pattern or not, but based on these images, it seems to get worse as the time is closer to sunrise/sunset. For today, Sunset is 7:53pm and sunrise is 7:15am.

Looking for suggestions improve this. Maybe there is simply a setting I have overlooked?

agarb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm not sure but I can check tonight.

Is there a resource that explains the difference between the two and which one is preferred?

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm not sure but I can check tonight.

Is there a resource that explains the difference between the two and which one is preferred?
wopi82 with smart IR issue explained in this thread.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Is there a porch light being turned on when people are entering/exiting? Or is all the illumination just from the camera IR?

agarb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No, the porch light is not being used. There is a dusk-to-dawn light across the driveway that provides enough illumination so that we don't need the porch light under normal circumstances.

I just went back and watched some video from the timeline. Both cameras "went dark" this morning when their internal clocks rolled to the first second past 6am. Both "went light" last night when their internal clocks hit the first second past 9pm. So it seems to have something to do with the programmed schedule. I will take a look at that tonight. Maybe the IR can be controlled by the schedule? I'm not proficient enough with the settings to go by memory.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
No, the porch light is not being used. There is a dusk-to-dawn light across the driveway that provides enough illumination so that we don't need the porch light under normal circumstances.

I just went back and watched some video from the timeline. Both cameras "went dark" this morning when their internal clocks rolled to the first second past 6am. Both "went light" last night when their internal clocks hit the first second past 9pm. So it seems to have something to do with the programmed schedule. I will take a look at that tonight. Maybe the IR can be controlled by the schedule? I'm not proficient enough with the settings to go by memory.
Yup, sounds like you have the cams switching to their day/night settings via a time setting.

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Maybe try setting switch from Night time from 6:00PM to 7:00AM instead. Obviously the setting for your camera was too dark at 6AM. I set my cameras night time change from 6:00PM to 7:00AM for September. You have to set them up differently every month of the year according to your location.