Wifi Panel Antenna connects to which device?

IseeUgopee

n3wb
Reaction score
Okay, bare with me. I'm a, "Newbee" here! I recently installed a PTZ IP Cam. I ran a Cat6 cable from the camera to my Wifi Extender. This Extender sits approximately 100ft from my Wifi Router. Signal to both devices (Router & Extender) is decent. Yet, the camera's Video is sketchy at times. I'm not getting my 30fps and PTZ controls are Lackluster. Signal comes, Signal goes, especially while using Blueiris software. It's the damndest thing. The free app that comes with the camera often works much better than the seventy dollar BI Software I recently installed. Go figure! So, I recently purchased a WiFi Panel Antenna. Both my Router and Extender have removable antennas and are WiFi Panel Antenna compatible. So, my question is: Which device do I install this antenna to? Router to boost router signal to Extender or Extender to boost extender signal to router? Possible common sense tells me I should install it to the Extender since that is the device the IP Cam is wired to. However, I'm just not 100% sure. I do believe I'm in a bit of a pickle here... Any advice on this matter is greatly appreciated.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
A panel antenna is semi directional so I'd try the access point first. If you ran CAT6 to from the camera to the AP, why not just run it to the switch instead of fooling with WiFi which is inherently unreliable with the load imposed by video streaming? You also don't mention how many other WiFi devices are on your router. Bandwidth quickly becomes a problem as well when trying to use WiFi for video.

Last edited:

IseeUgopee

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for the feedback. sebastiantombs, you've confirmed my fears. Lack of Bandwidth may be a possibility. Also, I was hoping to not have to run a much longer cat6 cable. I realize I should never ignore the golden rule: A wired connection is always best. I thank you, TonyR, for the powerline adapters idea. I will be looking into that. I just don't understand why the app seems more reliable than the Blueiris on my computer.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you for the feedback. sebastiantombs, you've confirmed my fears. Lack of Bandwidth may be a possibility. Also, I was hoping to not have to run a much longer cat6 cable. I realize I should never ignore the golden rule: A wired connection is always best. I thank you, TonyR, for the powerline adapters idea. I will be looking into that. I just don't understand why the app seems more reliable than the Blueiris on my computer.
A pair of these would work better.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Kameraad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I would run a temporary network cable, even if its just for a couple of hours. Just to check if everything is working as it should. If you should go with powerline adapters and they give you problems, then at least you know its because of them and not the rest of setup.