Wifi PTZ that doesn't connect through an app

mooseo

n3wb
Feb 5, 2023
California
I'm looking to replace an outdoor wifi PTZ camera that died after a couple of years. Going bonkers realizing that all the new ones will only connect through their app (after setting up an account) instead of with an internal web server. I assume this means they route information to their servers, but don't really know.

What I need / want:
  • Wifi (it's in a garden shed; no chance of running ethernet)
  • Plays well with BI
  • Ideally 4K, though I may have to give that up
  • Hopefully under $250
  • I don't care about tracking or many other features. Low light performance is helpful, but most basic cameras are fine for my need

What I've tried:
Ctronics... this is what I had for a couple of years. It finally stopped connecting on Wifi, which is apparently a common failure for this one. Specs were fine, worked great while it lasted. I bought the same one and was never able to get it to connect, needed to use their app

Foscam... put me in the whole world of "no web server, connect through app." Glad of Amazon's return policy

Looked at this HXVIEW, which looks about the same as the Foscam... and the Amazon Q&A confirms it only connects through app.

Any suggestions? Is that just the way this world has gone?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
You can make any camera wireless.

The cameras you've listed/tried are toys.

4k is overkill in most instances.

This is the best all around camera at this point HERE

Purchase and install two of these, and you can make a wireless link that works just like an ethernet cable.
Wireless Bridge

What about trying a powerline adapter that runs the data thru your existing electric lines? Much more stable than wifi and opens up every POE camera.

You can make any camera wireless.

The cameras you've listed/tried are toys.

4k is overkill in most instances.

This is the best all around camera at this point HERE

Purchase and install two of these, and you can make a wireless link that works just like an ethernet cable.
Wireless Bridge
That camera doesn't have PTZ, which is needed for my use case (taking time lapse of parts of the garden). I didn't check the power spec's on that bridge, but I don't have a lot of excess capacity on the solar, so doubt I could support it

It's a good idea, but it's in a garden shed on solar!

Did your existing solar camera work with BI and not kill it?

Solar cameras will not stream 24/7 and BI will error out all day and night long about no signal.

Did your existing solar camera work with BI and not kill it?

Solar cameras will not stream 24/7 and BI will error out all day and night long about no signal.
Solar charges a battery so camera runs 24/7. Sometimes dies if we have a few days with no sun, but it mostly works 10 months of the year in California