will this POE injector work?

camviewer43

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Trying to save some money on equipment. I want to use a POE power injector for the camera in the garage rather than a POE switch. The injector is listed as "802.3af Full 15 watts". Does that seem like it would work for a IPC-T5442TM-AS ? Here's the link to the power injector:

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

camviewer43

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Seeing that the IPC-T5442TM-AS camera only uses 7.2W maximum that should work.
Thanks. Would a passive POE injector that puts 12V onto the 4 pairs of Ethernet pins work for POE cameras? Or is the power negotiation required for the camera to work (i.e. 802.3af)?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks. Would a passive POE injector that puts 12V onto the 4 pairs of Ethernet pins work for POE cameras?
No.
12VDC would go ONLY on the barrel jack, if provided.
FWIW, passive POE injectors (non-gigabit) generally use only 2 pairs: 4&5 for DC plus and 7&8 for DC negative
Or is the power negotiation required for the camera to work (i.e. 802.3af)?
For POE on the Ethernet jack, a branded, well known IP camera like Dahua (and others) that is stated to be "POE" must use a 802.3af/at-conforming POE switch or POE injector.
In POE, the PD (IP cam) negotiates with the PSE (POE injector) and the PSE decides how much power to supply and what mode is to be implemented.
Source: Wikipedia

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Also, consider that a wall wart type POE injector may not fit in a crowded surge protector, UPS or outlet strip; also, it may be only 2 prong (not grounded).
Personally, I prefer the type that is a cube with a short 3-prong (grounded) power cable that plugs into the injector; they always are able to plug into a UPS or outlet strip, etc.
That's just my opinion.
This is the type I suggest here.

POE_injector.jpg

Last edited:

Iemand91

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Trying to save some money on equipment. I want to use a POE power injector for the camera in the garage rather than a POE switch. The injector is listed as "802.3af Full 15 watts". Does that seem like it would work for a IPC-T5442TM-AS ? Here's the link to the power injector:

I've used one of those (but from Aliexpress with EU pins) for years. First for a Hikvision dome and since then for my 5231.