Window/Door wired contacts: recessed? plunger? case mounted?

Reaction score
Time to start tackling how the window & door contacts will be wired with 22/2. So many options!
Took a quick gander at pro's/con's of various methods. Note: I have vinyl sliding glass windows that slide left & right.
1.) Easiest would be the double sided sticky tape method of the window contacts. Sometimes bulky, visually unappealing. However, a burglar possibly would also notice this as well giving the person a warning that the house is alarmed (a good thing)
And then I started down the rabbit hole of other options for vinyl windows and the associated problems.
2.) Recessed looks great! However, not advised to drill the magnet into the window interior framing itself as you would void the window manufacturer's warranty so that poses a problem:
21c5iDk9u5L.jpg
3.) I them came across possible solutions. A 1/8" rare earth magnet that could be the answer that you can either screw into interior window framing (may or may not void warranty since a small screw) or possibly epoxy glued.
41I7wr3-PzL._SL1001_.jpg
4.) Another solution is the plunger type, though the ball itself could eventually fail, get stuck, wear out, etc.
11tI2ZK1tCL.jpg
I am not sure which works long term but I'm learning towards the sensor and 1/8" magnet as it seems more...foolproof with no major moving parts involved as compared to a plunger. However, the reed switch and magnet could fail eventually. I guess that is the name of the game for just about everything: things eventually fail anyways.
Those that have wired sensors... what method did you go for? What I'm worried about is the "street-smarts" aspect of pro's/con's for each sensor. Such as: a burglar would easily bring his own magnet that would defeat a sensor or a flat piece of HVAC metal to keep plunger from opening.

johnnyletrois

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just installed the magnet type on our fiberglass casement windows. They work great. Used 3M double sided tape on the magnets. I might glue them at some point in the future but they work now.

Reaction score
I went with the #3: recessed with magnet. Ordered 6 of them for windows & doors. Since I have holes in my ceilings and walls, now would be an ideal time to hardwire sensors instead of WiFi, even though I'm surely going the route of Z wave HomeSeer or HomeAssistant for future stuff. I decided on recessed for the "hide the bulky ugly sensors" theme :)

johnnyletrois

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I use an alarmdecoder usb to connect my Vista 20p to HomeAssistant. Installed last week and it’s been solid so far. Works great.