Windows 11 Ethernet port won't stay enabled

tFerguson

n3wb
Reaction score
Obviously a noob here so apologies if this is the wrong place for this thread. I have a Windows 11 PC and I wanted to mostly physically isolate my sketchy Reolink camera (don't roast me too much, I know it's not a great camera).

I'm not really a networking guy so my knowledge is limited so maybe some of you can help me here. I had tried in the past to use a fixed IP with a different subnet mask (not even 100% sure I understand what I was doing here) but recently I made some changes to my home network and I figured this was a good time to possibly isolate this camera from the rest of my network as much as reasonable. To do this I added a second NIC to my previously mentioned PC. So now my network looks like this:

PC --> NIC1 internet
|
|
v
NIC2 --> POE switch --> reolink camera

If I have the internet on either of my NICs and then immediately plug in the cable from the POE switch the reolink camera will work for about 10 seconds and then the connection goes down. It's like Windows 11 doesn't want to keep that connection active if it can't get to the internet.

So I guess my question is, how do I do this right? I've read a few threads here and unfortunately they don't quite have enough detail for me to know what I need to do. My hope is that there is an easy solution here.

Long term I'm considering getting something better than the reolink and maybe adding a couple more camera to that POE switch to run to a few places outside my house. I'd still like to keep these cameras off the internet for now. As many of you know the Reolink night performance is a joke. The illuminator is only useful if something is right in front of the camera and it's visible to the naked eye (I thought it was supposed to just be NIR???).