Windows 11 pro and ZeroTier public/private

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I just finished setting up a Blue Iris pc with Windows 11 pro and could not get ZT to pass any data on the ZT network which I verified was properly set up. I looked on the zerotier network on the webpage and could see the new BI cpu connected on the ZT network, but no connection to Blue iris on the wan interface.

After searching through the zerotier forums, I found it was due to the Zerotier virtual network adapter being set to 'public' instead of 'private'. Apparantly there is no way to change it in Windows, and must be changed using Powershell. This seems to apply only to Windows 11 Pro.

To resolve, open Powershell from the Window search bar (must be run as an administrator).

You can verify what ZT is currently set to with:

Get-NetConnectionProfile | Where-Object "InterfaceAlias" -like "Zero*"

And change it to 'private' with:

Get-NetConnectionProfile | Where-Object "InterfaceAlias" -like "Zero*" | Set-NetConnectionProfile -NetworkCategory Private

Hopefully it helps someone.

Reaction score
I just finished setting up a Blue Iris pc with Windows 11 pro and could not get ZT to pass any data on the ZT network which I verified was properly set up. I looked on the zerotier network on the webpage and could see the new BI cpu connected on the ZT network, but no connection to Blue iris on the wan interface.

After searching through the zerotier forums, I found it was due to the Zerotier virtual network adapter being set to 'public' instead of 'private'. Apparantly there is no way to change it in Windows, and must be changed using Powershell. This seems to apply only to Windows 11 Pro.

To resolve, open Powershell from the Window search bar (must be run as an administrator).

You can verify what ZT is currently set to with:

Get-NetConnectionProfile | Where-Object "InterfaceAlias" -like "Zero*"

And change it to 'private' with:

Get-NetConnectionProfile | Where-Object "InterfaceAlias" -like "Zero*" | Set-NetConnectionProfile -NetworkCategory Private

Hopefully it helps someone.
I had to look... Mine was public too. I shut down the ZT service, disconnecting the virtual port, then restarted ZT. When it came back....

1714225661947.png