Windows Home 11Blue Screen After Update

diver165

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm a long time Blue Iris user. I've never had any real issues with running or using the program. But here in the last year I've run into a real PITA occurrence. It's not the fault of Blue Iris, but the end result makes Blue Iris unreliable. Randomly my machine will go into a "blue screen" state and give me 2 options 1. Run windows trouble shoot 2. Restart PC. I don't know what is causing this. I think it's centered around an automatic windows update. The PC that runs BI, is a Dell Inspiron 3910, i-5 12400 2.50GHz w/ 32gig memory running windows 11 Home. The PC is about 2yr old and has run w/o issue since put in service. Now all the sudden I'm getting this weird Blue Screen. When this happens, of course BI doesn't load as the PC is in a "limbo" state. All that is needed is to use the mouse and click restart. If I choose option 1 and "trouble shoot windows" it finds no issues and goes back to the Blue screen asking to trouble shoot or restart. I think this is centered around windows update. You can't simply turn windows update off. You can delay it or trick it a little. But w/o a reg edit you can't turn it off that I know of.

Anyone experiencing this issue? Anyone have any ideas other than rolling windows back to default and reinstalling BI?

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm a long time Blue Iris user. I've never had any real issues with running or using the program. But here in the last year I've run into a real PITA occurrence. It's not the fault of Blue Iris, but the end result makes Blue Iris unreliable. Randomly my machine will go into a "blue screen" state and give me 2 options 1. Run windows trouble shoot 2. Restart PC. I don't know what is causing this. I think it's centered around an automatic windows update. The PC that runs BI, is a Dell Inspiron 3910, i-5 12400 2.50GHz w/ 32gig memory running windows 11 Home. The PC is about 2yr old and has run w/o issue since put in service. Now all the sudden I'm getting this weird Blue Screen. When this happens, of course BI doesn't load as the PC is in a "limbo" state. All that is needed is to use the mouse and click restart. If I choose option 1 and "trouble shoot windows" it finds no issues and goes back to the Blue screen asking to trouble shoot or restart. I think this is centered around windows update. You can't simply turn windows update off. You can delay it or trick it a little. But w/o a reg edit you can't turn it off that I know of.

Anyone experiencing this issue? Anyone have any ideas other than rolling windows back to default and reinstalling BI?
You absolutely can disable Automatic Windows Updates. Dell has a system test and diagnostic tool to test your system....have you ran that yet? If your system memory is going bad then that will cause Windows BSOD - (Blue Screen of Death.) Check things out before you decide to wipe the system clean because you could go through all of that effort only to discover the problem is still there afterwards. You might try running a program called CCleaner and clean up the registry file because it gets full of garbage over time which can cause system issues. There is a free version of CCleaner and I've been using it for years. It can clean a bunch of other system stuff but I use it mainly for the registry cleaner.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I’d suspect some sort of hardware issue so check the HDD and RAM and if they come back fine check all the drivers, especially the video drivers.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Here is yet another fine example of Microsoft releasing an update that crippled a computer. They've done it countless times. Heck, there have been several updates that rendered computers unbootable until a fresh install of windows was performed.

Unlike the one time when BI reverted to eval mode, nobody seems to be on a crusade to rid themselves of microsoft and find something more reliable. In fact, microsuck hosed a machine, but for some reason the claim is that BI is unreliable?

It's not the fault of Blue Iris, but the end result makes Blue Iris unreliable.
Lemmie fix that fer ya:

"It's not the fault of Blue Iris, it's Microsoft windows. The end result is Windows is unreliable after it updates, and I cannot use any of the programs I loaded on the machine."

Last edited:

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here is yet another fine example of Microsoft releasing an update that crippled a computer. They've done it countless times. Heck, there have been several updates that rendered computers unbootable until a fresh install of windows was performed.

Unlike the one time when BI reverted to eval mode, nobody seems to be on a crusade to rid themselves of microsoft and find something more reliable. In fact, microsuck hosed a machine, but for some reason the claim is that BI is unreliable?

Lemmie fix that fer ya:

"It's not the fault of Blue Iris, it's Microsoft windows. The end result is Windows is unreliable after it updates, and I cannot use any of the programs I loaded on the machine."
Many things can cause blue screens and it's easy to point the finger at Microsoft, however they can't possibly test every hardware configuration or system software known to man to make sure their updates aren't going to break it. I've had an Nvidia Shield and other hardware, even Cisco switches, brick after installing an update release, so it's not just a Microsoft thing and when you marry hardware and software together somethings going to break....it's just the nature of the beast. You can always run Linux, but it's not perfect either and there is no perfect OS so pick your poison.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Could be an issue with file corruption causing the BSOD. I suggest this:
  • The next time you see the option to troubleshoot, select "Troubleshoot",
  • Then "Advanced options"
  • Then "Command Prompt".
  • When you get the black command window type in "sfc /scannow". There's a space after "sfc" and don't type the quotes just what's inside the quotes and hit <enter>.
If no joy next we'll try "CHKDSK".

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Many things can cause blue screens and it's easy to point the finger at Microsoft, however they can't possibly test every hardware configuration or system software known to man to make sure their updates aren't going to break it. I've had an Nvidia Shield and other hardware, even Cisco switches, brick after installing an update release, so it's not just a Microsoft thing and when you marry hardware and software together somethings going to break....it's just the nature of the beast. You can always run Linux, but it's not perfect either and there is no perfect OS so pick your poison.
Prev post was mostly sarcasm, except where a correction was offered to what I considered to be some mislaid labeling of unreliability on the part of 3rd party software.

If you update the firmware on your cisco switch and it stops working, do not make the claim that your belden cat 5e cables are unreliable.