Windows software for IP Cams

spoony77

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi people
I'm new to the world of IP cams and new to this forum.
I have just purchased my first Cam, its a MVPower Wireless 720p Ip Cam and I'm keen to have a play with it, however it doesn't come with any windows software as such and suggests all tinkering be done via a mobile phone app...
My question is - will all software designed for IP cameras work with to some extent with all makes of cameras or do I specifically need to have MVPower software?
I have seen some software on a youtube video that appears to do all I need (detect cams ip/change cams ip/change cams security settings etc) but its for a totally different make of cam...
I understand I wont be able to do specific branded things like upgrading firmware.
Any advice appreciated
Kind regards

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums @spoony77. You should return that camera if you can since it is garbage. That happens to be one of the type cameras that is sudo locked to using the app that it was delivered with for smart phone. It probably has a version of android or linux installed and in some cases you can hack it to get the RTSP path and feed from it, but it isn't worth it in most cases. With that camera you are basically stuck with the app and can't be used with other desktop software like Blue Iris.

Last edited by a moderator:

spoony77

n3wb
Reaction score
Oh dear...that's very disappointing.
So just to be clear - I will have to use the mobile app to monitor the cam from outside my local network?
What about from inside my LAN will I not be able to access it via a web browser or be able to set my own static ip etc?
Thanks for taking the time to reply

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If this is the camera you have, then I'm afraid this type of cam normally doesn't have any desktop software that it can use. They make these types of cams for ease of setup and have to connect to remote servers to establish the connection to the video feed. Unless it is hacked, no other method to change camera settings or get video feed that I am aware of.

spoony77

n3wb
Reaction score
The model I have purchased is the PT100C and after doing some googling I found a review on this site here :-https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/9104-Personal-Review-Sopooda-Camnoopy-IP-Cameras?highlight=pt100c
It states in the review that there is no web user interface.
I shall return it.
Can anyone recommend a 720p home ip cam that isn't too expensive, but is easy to setup and view via web browsers and remote software like Ispy and blue Iris? Maximum budget of £40? ($60)

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score

spoony77

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok thanks for the advice.
I shall give the TOP-201 a try! I see that it isn't wifi enabled but I can get around that with powerline adapters.
I better get reading that big thread for tips!

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just so you are aware, this camera is lacking night capabilities as it has milo IR or IR filter.

I have one of these which is great for the price and it is similar to TOP-201 but with night capabilities.

http://s.aliexpress.com/u6NRb6fA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk