Windows Updates - Reboot On Remote Computer

Reaction score
I'm trying to set up a PC on Windows 10 Pro, running Blue Iris at a remote site. But, the dreaded Windows Updates keep shutting the PC down and it requires a manual reboot. I'm looking for the best way to keep it running until I can get to the remote site to do the Windows Update manually. I'm sure there is a thread out there someplace so if someone could point me to it, it would be greatly appreciated.
Alternatively, if there is a better approach, I am open to suggestions.
Thanks...Mike

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Windows update reboots the update target PC; to the best of my knowledge Windows Update does not shut the PC down -- as in power it off -- because that is too stupid to imagine.

Reaction score
Poorly stated by me. It puts the pc in a state where it has to be rebooted for the updates to be effective. While in that state, Blue Iris is not in a position to be viewed remotely.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
So click on restart within the Check for updates page and then just wait for it to finish the update, that’s what I do. My PC is in the loft and headless, so no keyboard, mouse or screen.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Try Start > Settings > Update & Security > Advanced Options > and setting Feature Update Deferral to 365 days.

Reaction score
Thanks Franky. I see Feature Updates can be extended to 365 days but Quality Updates are limited to 30 days. My "remote" situation is at a different house in a different state. I was hoping for a longer delay option.

DesertRat

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
When you run Windows 10 Pro, you can use the Group Policy Editor to change the settings to prevent Windows 10 from automatically updating. The group policy editor will notify you of new updates without automatically installing them.
  • Press the Windows logo key + R then type gpedit.msc and click OK.
  • Go to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update.
  • Double-click Configure Automatic Updates.
  • Select Disabled in Configured Automatic Updates on the left, and click Apply and OK to disable the Windows automatic update feature.

This is what I did on my BI Machine.

Reaction score
Nicely done DesertRat. Looks like all I have to do to get the updates is search for any and then download. Ok, I'm all set up.

Greatly appreciated!