Winter is definitely here

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
still a bunch of dead grass here; but lastnight I was coming through the mountains via i70 and it looked much like that.. at least the little bit I saw out the window as I was sliding sideways for a few hundred feet.. all the windows without wiper blades were opaque from road salts

we usually try to go sledding for thanksgiving holiday; but not this year.. will have to wait for xmas holiday

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
still a bunch of dead grass here; but lastnight I was coming through the mountains via i70 and it looked much like that.. at least the little bit I saw out the window as I was sliding sideways for a few hundred feet.. all the windows without wiper blades were opaque from road salts

we usually try to go sledding for thanksgiving holiday; but not this year.. will have to wait for xmas holiday
Yea Nayr, I really hate your neck of the woods the next several months! Fly in and it'll be sunny and 40, try to fly home 2 days later and its a foot of snow and 5 hour delay. When my wife see's Denver on the calendar she gets super pissed cause I always get delayed or stuck. Least Denver Chop house has pretty good food in terminal A.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Look on the bright side- that 4k camera will look a lot better at night with the snow reflecting a bunch of "free" light.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
I wouldn't know how to drive with all that snow. I can hardly make it through the mountains at night, never mind adding snow.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Colorado requires passenger vehicles to either have AWD, Snow Tires or Chains now; used to only apply to Commercial Vehicles but starting this year its everything on the road.

Chains are a bitch to install/remove but they turn your vehicle into a friggin tank.. the'll take your FWD car down a 4x4 trail if your brave enough and dont bottom out.

This is one of the many reasons why all my vehicles are manual transmissions; put it in a low gear and tractor along.. if you can decend the mountain w/out touching that break pedal your in pretty good shape even without additional traction.. my Diesel will idle up and down mountains in any gear at basically a fixed speed.. but tap the break for even a split second and your ass will swing around your front end.

Last edited:

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I love DAC on toyotas never have to touch the brake going down hill the computer does it for you not matter the grade you won't go over 5 mph

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeh you can tell who's from flatland when driving in the mountains; they never let off that break pedal.. after 10-20mins of going down hill at 65mph with your foot on the pedal the entire way your boiling your break fluid while your rotors are glowing at over 1k degrees.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeh you can tell who's from flatland when driving in the mountains; they never let off that break pedal.. after 10-20mins of going down hill at 65mph with your foot on the pedal the entire way your boiling your break fluid while your rotors are glowing at over 1k degrees.
I took a ride from florida up to memphis, but through atlanta and the top of alabama first. My problem was at night in the mountains when the tail lights in front of you disappear. I also freaked out the first time I saw the "road freezes before the bridge" signs.

Keyboard

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeh you can tell who's from flatland when driving in the mountains; they never let off that break pedal...
For us flatland'ers, we like the excitement of sliding down a mountain or steep hill in the snow. The faster the better. It satisfies our Bumper-Car addiction! :p

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
$650+ fine on top of your tow bill now if you block traffic and you didnt have required traction; you can be fined $150 if they pull you out of a ditch.. so definitely carry chains in Colorado if your coming here in the winter from now on; if you block traffic that kinda money can get you a nice pair of snow tires w/there own rims.. Was only $70 for a decent pair of chains for my Golf.

This is all new this year, so if you travel to Colorado often read this: Passenger Vehicle Traction & Chain Laws —

Last edited:

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
funny thing is the midwest drivers where i am from have failed to realize how NICE snow tires are. all season tires are a gimmick tire.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Snow tires are really nice; if you have a garage you can swap em out where its warm and dry at.. they are so damn soft they wont last long if you drive em in non-snow conditions..

Last time I bought a nice set of Blizzacks some ass hat cut me off on the interstate the next day and when I smashed the brakes to avoid a collision on dry pavment it left me with 4 flat spots that annoyed the fuck out of me for the rest of the winter.. but they did do great in the snow on an AWD vehicle.

If you dont live in a place that's got snow on the ground all winter long; snow tires are not that good of a deal with how fast the'll wear out

Last edited:

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Annoying, but not as bad as sliding in the cold on hard slick "all season" rubber and rearending the bastard.

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Snow tires are good on wet or dry pavement as long as the temp is 42 and below. Most garages will swap them for free or for a small fee heck they will even store then for 50 bucks. Worth it to avoid on costly accident or tow from a ditch