Wireless Bridge Choppy Signal

Reaction score
Hi All,

I need some help please troubleshooting a choppy signal over a wireless bridge. I realize that there are a lot of factors in play, but even some troubleshooting direction might help me solve the problem.

I have a 4 channel Hik NVR (DS-7604NI-E1/4P) and am using Ubiquiti LocoM2's to bridge to a Hik Outdoor Bullet Camera (DS-2CD4A26FWD-IZH8). I have the camera set to 1080P at 60 frames per second. I have no issues connecting to the camera's web server and adjusting properties from the LAN through the bridge. The video signal is a little choppy on my web broswer, but very choppy when I try and look at the recording on the NVR. The wireless bridge status shows a fantastic connection yet the throughput graphs seem to show choppy data transmission. On the NVR side of the bridge, I have the NVR's ethernet port connected to a Netgear router, and the Access Point side of the bridge plugged into that router.

I was contemplating taking the router out of the equation and plugging the access point directly into one of the NVR's four LAN ports. However, that will remove a lot of flexibility as far as managing both the NVR and cameras from the LAN.

Thank you in advance for any of your more experienced thoughts.

CAS

Here is a screenshot of Ubiquiti's status page on the the Router and NVR side of the bridge:
LocoM2-AP.JPG

And here is a screenshot of Ubiquiti's status page on the the camera side of the bridge:
LocoM2-Station.JPG

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So couple of things might help. I'd change the channel width to 20Mhz. And use a wifi sniffing app to see what else might be around on channel 6. I think the UBNT software will also do this but might be simpler to use an app. I use an old free version of Insider. You might need to change channels.

And primarily why 60fps? 15 is plenty for security cams.

Reaction score
Ill try 20 mhz, but the camera is in an exterior location at the entrance to a rural neighborhood so there should be no interference at all. It is an LPR/ANPR camera so I need the high frame rate. What is strange is that even at max resolution and max frame rate, it should be a very small percentage of the bridge's available bandwidth.

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I doubt you need that frame rate even for lpr. Reduce the rate if only to test.

Reaction score
Thanks for your help NoloC. I got it working this morning. I changed the channel width to 20 Mhz and reduced the framerate to 15 fps initially, and then back up to 30 fps. At 30 fps, I left the variable bit rate set to a maximum of 4000. With these changes, there was a big improvement in web browser feed when connected to the camera directly, but the NVR was still choppy - recording a single image every couple of minutes.

I think the biggest factor in the solution was this: Initially, I had the NVR's ethernet port connected to a router, and the LocoM2 also connected to the router. I pulled the router out of the equation and connected the LocoM2 directly to one of the NVR's four RJ-45 jacks for cameras. I think there is something wrong with the NVR's ethernet port. Once I connected to one of those four RJ-45 jacks, the feed turned continuous. In hindsight, I've had trouble accessing the NVR's configuration web server through this port as well.

The only downside to this configuration is that in order to mess with the configuration of either the camera or the NVR, I need to plug my laptop directly into one of the remaining RJ-45 ports. Because the NVR doesn't have DHCP, I have to force my computer to obtain an IP in the range of the NVR's subnet. Just a few extra steps, but it was a lot easier using the router's wifi (on non-overlappign channels from the LocoM2's).

Thanks again.

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Nice job troubleshooting.

Glad yo found the problem!