Wireless cameras and a high CPU and Crashes in Blue Iris

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
For the longest time I've doubted some peoples low CPU usage on here, with my CPU usage always sitting at 50% and sometimes even greater. I also would experience Blue Iris crashes maybe once every week or 2

Well, I just figured it out. I have an outdoor cat house, and in there I had a wireless Samsung Smart Cam which was in Blue Iris. I removed that camera, and my CPU usage shot down to 20%, and the crashes never came back...

Just posting on here incase anyone else was in a similar boat

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Kewanee 3.2 Million BTU Boiler ( center) Circa 1974. Camus 1.2M-BTU high efficiency (Circa 2009) ( black cubed looking device) off to the right . ( not fully depicted) are 2-120 Gallon Amtrol boiler heated Domestic Hot water Heaters.
Providing Heat to the 74 Units, and the 1400 GAllon Hotub, and the DHW.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think it is necessarily because of the wireless, but it is that BI loses the signal occasionally.

I noticed, and I recall someone else mentioned it here as well, that for some us in a recent update, if the camera loses signal, BI shoots up the CPU.

Mine typically runs below 15% and one day I opened up UI3 and it was screaming at 99%. For some reason it said I lost a signal, but as soon as I opened up the camera and hit find/inspect it came back and the CPU immediately dropped.

I sent a ticket in to BI to see if they could replicate it.

henrye718

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't think it is necessarily because of the wireless, but it is that BI loses the signal occasionally.

I noticed, and I recall someone else mentioned it here as well, that for some us in a recent update, if the camera loses signal, BI shoots up the CPU.
I have a solar system I have it set to turn off at night, there are three cameras on it currently. As soon as power is cut to them and signal is lost the CPU usage goes from 20-30% to 99% and stays there.

Reaction score
I have two WIFI cams indoors that loose connection a couple of times a day. Sometimes stay down for 10-20 minutes before they come back on. No changes to the CPU on my BI machine at all when this happens.

jbc37

n3wb
Reaction score
For the longest time I've doubted some peoples low CPU usage on here, with my CPU usage always sitting at 50% and sometimes even greater. I also would experience Blue Iris crashes maybe once every week or 2

Well, I just figured it out. I have an outdoor cat house, and in there I had a wireless Samsung Smart Cam which was in Blue Iris. I removed that camera, and my CPU usage shot down to 20%, and the crashes never came back...

Just posting on here incase anyone else was in a similar boat
I am on a Farm, try to keep an eye on what is happening, as we teach Horse Riding Lessons and have about 200 cars in and out a week. Rats chew the wires. Insects have set up home inside the POE cams, so I caulk around where the cat cable goes in. Thunder Storms are brutal. Hard wired (cat 6A) 1000+ feet to 7 POE switches, 20 cams, Amcrest, Hikvision, and lately some Wi-Fi Wyze using the new firmware. I just changed up the AiMesh Network, spans 1000', 7 AiNodes at the moment. My Wi-Fi is good, but the wireless cams drop in and out. I just fixed my 100% CPU issue (2 yrs) after seeing a YouTube video, explaining how to display the sub-stream, cpu at 10% now. I am a LONG time computer guy (WFH), never worked on the networking team, or worked much with video files. PC has a 1080 GeForce and a i7-8700K cpu. In BI, did not seem to affect the CPU usage if i used the graphics card or CPU, strange.
This is an intense YT video, (looks just like they train me at work), I do not use Deepstack at this time, but there is good info in here.

Attachments

jbc37

n3wb
Reaction score
i have several places where I do not have power close by and would like to try a solar/battery/ wireless cam, has to work on blueiris

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
^Once substreams were introduced, it is more efficient to not use the GPU for BI and hardware acceleration...it is only used now for folks running DeepStack or SenseAI.

Um, that video is old and a lot has changed since then, and not too many here follow the hookup LOL :lmao:

jbc37

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, I just did not know to use the substream. Not sure I want to open a can of worms with Deepstack.....I burned out about 10 years ago....LOL

jbc37

n3wb
Reaction score
On the Hikvision, when they stop working, can take off the small panel and do a HARD reset and bring most back to life.....for awhile. Many of my cams, need an extension ladder and wasp spray. Free wifi for all the guests here for about 13 years now...

jbc37

n3wb
Reaction score
One of my 7 AiMesh Nodes, just had it down yesterday. Typically router lasts 4 years. This is just an Asus AC68 indoor router, mounting upside down, in a HomeDepot bucket, about 25' up. Security, lower right. Kid in photo, working hard, no pay. Take 2 screws out and the PVC pole pivots down, not too heavy. I first installed 40' up on top of a barn....maintenance was no fun.

Attachments