Wireless Chime Options For Hikvision NVR Alarm Output

EViS

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a Hikvision DS-7616NXI-I2/16P/4S NVR which I would like to notify me of any events (e.g. intrusions/line crossings) via an external chime. I'd want this to be particularly loud as I find the NVR's internal chime isn't sufficient.

What is the neatest/simplest way to set this up? Is there an all-in-one 12v transformer and bell which is the go-to for many alarm installers? Would it be wise/necessary to separate the NVR's alarm output from a 12v supply with a relay to protect the NVR from over-current?

Additionally, it would be handy to also have a secondary wireless chime in another location. What options could I explore for setting this up? Is a wireless doorbell the go-to here? Again, I'd prefer a neater all-in-one-box on the chime end.

Many thanks in advance :)!

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
in reality, any interior 12v siren will do the job, Just add power to complete the circuit through your nvr relay to handle the power from any interior siren (add a relay for much higher consumption, probably if you prefer a bell). The wireless scenario is more challenging, because there are many different alternatives. The transmitter (TX) will be installed to the nvr, while the receiver (RX) activates the siren (would recommend a timer to comply with noise pollution). There are many technologies to be considered, like zwave, zigbee, RF, etc. How far is your intended location for the wireless siren?

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
the zwave/zigbee mesh technologies may require a hub/programming to operate, which could be ok if you are planning to include additional products (i.e. lightning). For a point-to-point control, an RF controller could be a better option. The Dakota Alert, model UTDCR-4000, includes a transmitter (long lasting CR2 battery) with N/O, N/C (plus magnet). Just connect the NVR relay output to the N/O input. Install the siren at a remote location (up to a one mile) with the included power supply. DA products are well done an very reliable.

Amazon.com : Dakota Alert UTDCR-4000 Long-Range Wireless Doorbell and Home Security Driveway Alarm System - DCR-4000 Receiver and UT-4000 Universal Transmitter : Camera & Photo

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

EViS

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply eggsan. Is there no reason whatsoever to install an external relay between the NVR and 12v supply? In what instance would an external relay be advisable to protect the NVR from over-current?

The siren will be located internally, within 15 metres of the NVR. I only want it to chime like a doorbell once an event is triggered. Although I only require a basic setup, if there's a neat product which only works under zwave/zigbee, that's fine.

That Dakota Alert looks to be a smart option. Is it simply a case of running some bell wire from the button (the transmitter) to the back of the NVR as you say? In regards to the magnetic window contact which is included in that kit, would this be used for anything (I presume not)? Additionally, would I still require a timer or will the receiver chime for a second or two and then silence itself?

Last edited:

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
even thou I usually connect an external relay to drive a high current siren, there is no need to install a relay for an internal siren located about 15 meters, like DSC SD-15W or similar. Regarding the wireless Dakota Alert, the receiver unit is designed as a self contained "announcing chime box", rather than used to drive an external siren. I will recommend instead, model UTRE-4K Plus, which is exactly the same unit (link included, around the same price), except the receiver includes 2 external timed relays (up to 5 minutes, but check your local law to comply with noise pollution) for connecting a powered siren/remote light, etc. Whichever product selected, you may add up to 16 additional transmitters (UT4000), depending on your particular application (visit www.dakotaalert.com for additional transmitters) . The battery operated UT-4000 universal transmitter, can be trigger by the included magnetic contact (door, window, mailbox, etc.), and/or a front push button (door entrance) and/or the N/O & N/C contacts (your NVR relay output, a zone in a wired alarm panel, etc.). At the receiver (RX). just program a different chime or tones, for every transmitter added to your system, in order to distinguish between the NVR, door entrance, mail box alert, etc. If you need help with recommending an external siren for the receiver (using UTRE-4K), just let me know

EViS

n3wb
Reaction score
Brilliant! Here is a comparison and demo video between the UTRE-4K Plus and the UTDCR-4000 for anyone else looking for a similar solution.

1589376762735.png

I may as well opt for the UTRE 4k Plus. It includes the same features as the UTDCR 4000 (unless you can correct me?) but allows for extra future expansion if necessary.

How long can I expect the transmitter battery to last for (e.g. 20 events per day)? Can I somehow power this (or another compatible transmitter) from an external supply to remove the need for replacing the battery?

Last edited:

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
you are correct, is basically the same. if the idea is adding a remote siren in the future, buy the 4K plus. Since the transmitter is intended for stand-alone applications (door, windows, mailbox, etc.), it use one CR2 (3 volts lithium battery), which typically last between 6~12 months, depending on the number of events. If you have a 3V DC power adapter, a diy to replace the battery should work just fine (included a link for a battery eliminator). Good luck, and stay safe!

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
if needed, info regarding diy battery eliminator:

EViS

n3wb
Reaction score
Amazingly helpful! Thank you so much for the explanations and links! I've ordered the Dakota 4K Plus and will look into wiring the transmitter up to a power supply :).

EViS

n3wb
Reaction score
The Dakota unit has arrived, is now connected and fully functional. This solution is even neater than I expected! Thank you very much for the recommendations, eggsan :thumb:.

Just need to find a better way of creating a 'battery eliminator'. Those guides seem a little too DIY/amateurish to me :confused:.

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Good to know. I have no experience with the battery eliminator shown in the following link, but it looks like the 3V step-down (Plug Type: DC 3V) converter could work. Basically you connect a 5V usb power pack (similar to iphone power supply), to provide 3V at the output terminals (red clip is positive, black clip negative). If installing, remember to remove the CR2 battery, using only the clips with the corresponding polarity. You may contact the alli express store for more information. Good Luck!

note: even thou the 3V plug should be ordered, if you have a voltmeter, it could be a good idea to check the output voltage before connecting. It looks like an internal adjustable voltage is included for fine tuning