Wireless PIR sensors to Alarm input?

alltaken

n3wb
Reaction score
I have looked at various wireless PIR's and would like to add one to my 2CD2142FWD-IS.

I have a few non S (alarm) models of the 3mp version. I would like to add 2 PIR sensors, one to my front door camera, notifying the wireless PIR unit, in turn notifying IVMS via my alarm enabled camera. The alarm enabled camera is located at the back of the house with the alarm input, the wireless receiver for the PIR will go to this alarm input.

The wireless PIR I have in mind displays LED alert, sound alert, or both. If I fed the wires going to the LED on the receiver unit to the alarm input on the Hikvision camera, would this trigger an alert?

This is the PIR in question:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00RCW8QS2?keywords=wireless pir alarm&qid=1453466603&ref_=sr_1_3&sr=8-3

Am I going the right way about this?

I don't really want to change my camera at the front of the property and if anyone has another solution I'm all ears. Thanks

**Does IMVS 4200 allow recording of all cameras / select cameras when an alert is triggered?

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
If you really want this to work well, use a wired PIR. We use a wireless and battery powered PIR, But they are much more expensive than the ones you have displayed. The reason is, if you are going to go through the trouble of adding a PIR, you don't want false alerts or as few as possible. I would recomend an Optex PIR that is wired. Their wireless PIRs come with a built in transmiter. You have to purchase a seperate receiver which is usually mounted close to the NVR.

alltaken

n3wb
Reaction score
I really appreciate the advice, however, I'm looking for a cheap and cheerful setup for now. The wireless PIR's I have in mind vs pixel based motion sensor, a 90% improvement? I know it's not the best suited for a security camera but it's a damn sight better than the pixel based, surely?

I'll be sure to buy the Optex PIR in the future but for now is my plan workable?

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
The short answer is no but the longer answer is probably yes. The camera isn't looking for voltage at the alarm input posts but a closed connection, so if you use the wires that light up the LED then you'll either cook the camera or short the driveway alarm. Applying voltage to the alarm inputs won't end well. If you can find some place inside your wireless PIR that closes but doesn't supply voltage (or you've CUT OFF the voltage but kept the switched gate) then you could use that as the alarm input by running wires from either side of the gate that closes to the alarm inputs, or maybe unhook the wires to your driveway alarm's LEDs or siren (the siren section is probably set up to deliver more current) and use that voltage to close a relay and use the wires from the closed part of the relay to short (make the connection) in the cam's alarm input. You'd have to see what kind of voltage the LED or siren takes (voltmeter attached when you trip the motion sensor will tell you) and if it's in the 12v DC range then any cheap car headlight relay will make the connection for you as long as the driveway alarm can supply enough amperage to hold the relay shut. That's why I suggested maybe using the power to the siren instead of the LEDs. A NO (normally open) relay that closes when voltage is applied from the driveway alarm somehow would work best. If the driveway alarm doesn't supply 12v in there somewhere or you can't find easy access to the switched gate then things get more complicated.

Some good reading in this link- https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/697-How-to-use-Hikvision-Audio-and-Alarm-IO-connections

riles246

n3wb
Reaction score
I know this is a thread from the dead, but I've been searching the internet for a couple hours looking for a better wireless PIR solution than I already have but it looks like mine is still the best in the <$100 range. I've been using the Dakota Alert IR-2500 PIR combined with the "Duty Cycle Receiver". You have to shop around a bit but the sensors are about $50 each and the receiver is $50. The receiver has 4 channels and wires directly into the NVR alarm block. One neat feature is that the receiver has a lock-out timer, so that you don't get 15 emails for the same motion event. I set mine to 2 minutes, so I don't get any emails if another motion event occurs within 2 minutes on the same channel (though my NVR still records during this time; I have it set to record for 15 mins on any motion or alarm event); before this, I could get 60 emails in a 2 minute span with a Hikvision cam (no joke)

For some reason I don't see much coverage on the internet about using wireless PIRs with NVRs other than the >$300 professional units. For about $200 you can have four PIRs and a receiver when using the Dakota system and you're set. I have one at my front door, one in the garage, one in the back yard, and one near the mailbox; range seems fine. I replace the 9v batteries twice a year to be safe though I bet they'll go much longer.

I just can't understand how so many people have camera systems without PIR sensors. I get thousands of false alarms per week if I use the built-in image-based motion detection and exactly zero false alarms with my PIRs. Heck, many manufacturers are even getting rid of the alarm blocks in their new NVRs... yikes!

Oh, and don't buy the green PIRs from Dakota- they have bad range; I learned from experience. Just stick with the white ones.