Wisenet / Samsung IP cameras and 2-way audio

yorkie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a Samsung PNF-9010RV and a Wisenet XNF-8010R fisheye camera (one is 12mp, the other 6mp) and am having issues with the audio interface.

Getting sound FROM the cameras is fine, though the Samsung one is a fair bit quieter than the newer Wisenet one.... My problem is getting any audio TO the cameras.

I'm currently trying with the Wisenet one first as that's a bit newer; I have a suitable mono jack plug inserted into the audio out pigtail, which then goes to a Valcom amplified speaker that has been tested and is known working. The camera is connected to a Hikvision DS-7716NI-E4/16P NVR which I can access through Hikconnect - when I activate 2-way audio on other cameras connected to this NVR the output will work, yet if I then go to the feed for this camera or the Samsung one and select the microphone icon it shows a 'loading' box for a few seconds then "operation failed". This is the same if the camera is connected to the NVR through it's own PoE port OR if the camera is connected through a network switch. If I navigate to the camera's own Web GUI page, the frontend page shows a preview video feed and yet the microphone icon there is also disabled (and this is with the 'audio out' checkbox enabled in settings) - if I click the icon it stays disabled, even if I access it from my phone (so it can't be an issue around not finding a talk microphone).

The camera can handle sound through either AAC, G.726, or G.711 codec - I've tried all three and still get the same result. In fact, G.726 won't work in 1-way audio, the sound from the camera goes mute.

Anybody know what could be causing this or how to resolve it?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Getting sound FROM the cameras is fine... My problem is getting any audio TO the cameras.

I'm currently trying with the Wisenet one first as that's a bit newer; I have a suitable mono jack plug inserted into the audio out pigtail, which then goes to a Valcom amplified speaker that has been tested and is known working.
It's not clear (at least to me) where you have a microphone or audio source connected to either camera's audio INPUT....did I miss that? :idk:

yorkie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It's not clear (at least to me) where you have a microphone or audio source connected to either camera's audio INPUT....did I miss that? :idk:
the camera has a built-in microphone to send audio to the NVR - and that works fine.... it's talkback from Hikconnect to the audio output on the camera that seems to be troublesome. I've tried it on iSpy too and there's nothing.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the camera has a built-in microphone to send audio to the NVR - and that works fine....
I understand that.
it's talkback from Hikconnect to the audio output on the camera that seems to be troublesome.
Again, I get that.
I'll restate what I said in my post #2 but this time in the form of a question: "Do you have a microphone or audio source connected to either camera's audio INPUT ?"

EDIT 6/14 @ 0746 CDT: BTW, do the specs for both or either of these cameras state that it has a built-in speaker to accommodate an audio INPUT ?

Last edited:

yorkie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
"Do you have a microphone or audio source connected to either camera's audio INPUT ?"

EDIT 6/14 @ 0746 CDT: BTW, do the specs for both or either of these cameras state that it has a built-in speaker to accommodate an audio INPUT ?
The audio input jack socket for these cameras is basically line in, and the manual reads as if this is to be used as an alternative to the built-in microphone for if an amplified mic is being used.
There is no built-in speaker, instead there is a pigtail connection marked as "Speaker" to which I have connected a jackplug which goes to an amplified speaker

Page 8

Then on page 14:
"You can use the built-in microphone in the camera without connecting an external microphone "